[3830] ARRL 160 W8AV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8av@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W8AV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 17:42:15 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: W8AV
Operator(s): W8AV
Station: W8AV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 20:20

Total:  QSOs = 977  Sections = 79  Countries = 45  Total Score = 256,762

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Band was very noisy the first evening which prevented me from hearing EU
stations very well, although I knew some were calling in the noise.  Conditions
on the second night were better and had a few answer my CQ.  Was hoping for a JA
on both mornings at local SR but never heard any, although I did work RT0F near
the end of the contest.

Murphy paid me a visit again.  At around 0700 UTC the on Saturday morning the
transformer in the power supply that controls my beverage system decided it had
lived a long and prosperous life and decided to become a silent key by letting
its smoke out with a loud pop.  This cost me about an hour of work crawling
under the operating table to unhook the supply, scrounging around in my shop for
a suitable replacement, installing said replacement, and hooking everything back
up.  Got everything back together in time for much of the Western EU sunrise but
there were not a lot of EU stations that I could not hear through the noise.

I worked all of the W/VE sections except for NL, NT and SK.  Country mults
missed that I knew about were 3V8SF, EA6NB, HI3AA, LA7GIA, XP3A, and SV9CVY.
With the exception of LA7GIA, I never heard any of the others.  Managed to
squeak out a QSO with HC2AO although he was really weak.

Might have made more QSO's if I had not taken a hour and a half off on the
second night to watch Ohio State win the Big Ten Championship game.  Almost
stayed in the shack after Ohio State had a pretty dismal performance in the
first half of the game.  That said, I had a lot of fun in this one.  Wish I
could have worked more DX but CQ 160 is coming in January and that is aleways a
good one for more DX activity.