[3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1tjl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 W1TJL Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2019 18:13:42 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL
Station: W1TJL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: fn32RA
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 613  Sections = 74  Countries = 44  Total Score = 174,050

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I LOVE THIS CONTEST!

Ok, 4:00 AM on Saturday morning, maybe it was “like”.  But, I do it every
year and all in all, I have fun!  The station worked well and although a bit of
a little pistol on 160, made a lot of contacts and worked a lot of DX for a
short operating period.

The station in use consists of a Yaesu FTdx5000MP, a Ten-Tec Titan III amp, and
a vertical antenna that is 90 ft tall and uses a folded radiator about 90 ft
tall and two raised radials full size in the woods.  I seems to play pretty
well!  A number of times I worked European stations amidst a pileup and got them
on a call or two.  Timon PA1T worked me and emailed me a recoding from his end
and I actually was impressed.  That said there were NOT a lot of loud European
stations here.  And the few that were loud were the normal ones.

This weekend was very busy and there were a number of other obligations like
helping Susan get setup for a craft show where she sold jams and pickles, etc.
One trips to bring and setup for the show and another to retrieve the setup when
it was complete.  Also I had volunteered to serve and cleanup at our local fire
stations game dinner.  Venison, alligator, bear, etc.  Not sure why they hold
that weekend each year on ARRL 160 weekend, but I’ve told them and yet they
continue to do so!  ;-)

The good news for the weekend was that nothing blew up! (CQWW CW had a switch
failure and “blew up” is not an exaggeration!)  Not sure what caused it but
two of the six-pack type switches had been in operation for a couple of years.
But this year a rather spectacular failure burned a hole through the fiberglass
circuit board.  But I’m building 2 more switches with 1 as a spare.  I’m
also building in some manual overrides so that in case of a switch failure I can
go manual without having to go from the 2nd floor into the basement whenever we
need an antenna change!

Anyway, here is my effort.  Now it’s time for a nap!

73, Tom W1TJL