[3830] ARRL 160 OH6MW SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ari.vepsalainen@kolumbus.fi
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 OH6MW SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2019 21:26:57 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: OH6MW
Operator(s): OH6MW
Station: OH6MW

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: kp20
Operating Time (hrs): 9

Total:  QSOs = 98  Sections = 46  Countries = 0  Total Score = 9,016

Club: Contest Club Finland

Comments:

Different and special propagation this time. Band was open to NA most of the
time, even during the daytime. At nighttime it was more like normal propagation,
except that I haven't ever heard and worked so many ARRL sections of California
on 160m. Very long qsb all the time.

Huge differences in signal strengths. Some NA stations were 599, but 95% were
339. Most of NA stations heard EU very well, few had many EU stations calling
but couldn't hear them at all.

Daytime propagation was something special. Normally we could have something like
this in the end of December or in January. I guess it is not very usual  to have
this kind of propagation so early in December and many days in a row. KL7SB,
VE6BBP, VE7's and many others loud and clear at noon, 4 hours after sunrise. At
the same time you could hear VU2 and JA3YBK, JA5DQH, JH2FXK, RT0F etc. At noon,
160m, broad daylight. JA big guns 599. It was amazing, I even had to try with
some west coast stations that do they copy me. Made some daytime qsos with
another callsign because I had worked them already during the morning grayline.
They heard and heard EU easily. Some stations around here copied W6 and KH6 at
daytime, I couldn't copy them well enough to make daytime qsos.

A little bit better NA propagation would have been super. I had only one longer
run, 10 qsos in 12 minutes at Saturday morning grayline, most of the other qsos
made s&p. More stations called but sri no copy. Few dbs more propagation
could have opened hundreds of contacts. Wishing this kind of propagation for the
cq 160 cw.

TX: 2 phased verticals + 1,5kw , RX: hi-z 4. Both antennas have space for
improvement and fixing at least.

Tnx qsos, 73
de Ari OH6MW OG7A