[3830] ARRL 10 K4XL SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, grimm@sbc.edu
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K4XL SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 00:11:08 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2019

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: Sweet Briar, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10

   CW:  193    38
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  193    38  Total Score = 29,336

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Well this was an interesting experience.  Lots of Qs made at 30 wpm and faster
in order to take advantage of the very brief openings generated by the Geminid
meteor shower.  Some transequatorial skip and some local ground wave made up the
bulk of my contacts! Lots of activity from my local PVRC chapter was helpful!

On Friday evening it was mostly local/regional until late when the band opened
up to the west and I managed to bag a couple of 6's and 5's.  I was up early
Saturday morning and caught a fair opening into Florida.  The Es opening
happened earlier than I expected and I bagged several PY and LU beginning at
1:22pm.  The opening lasted only about 2 hours but was good while it lasted!
Sunday was pretty blah.  Pickings were slim.  Meteor bursts were fewer and
seemingly shorter...if that is possible.  Many Qs were missed because the CQ
station called for too long and the burst was gone and their signal had faded
into never-never land.

I just about wore out my Alt-J looking for an extra db or two on many stations.
Around 1:30 on Sunday afternoon, the band noise floor began oscillating up and
down on about a 5-10 sec cycle.  That lasted for only about 30 minutes or so.
Strange brew!
Late Sunday afternoon, there was a nice opening to the west with lots of TX
stations making big signals. After that opening, things began to go dead.  The
last hours of the test were were slow slogging.

All in all, it was an interesting contest, but not particularly enjoyable.

Rig:  IC-7800
Amp:  Alpha 78
Ant:  SteppIR DB-18E