[3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ron.spencer@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC N4XD Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 13:52:03 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - 2019

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 11.5

Total:  QSOs = 638  Total Score = 3,992

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

Wow, conditions were superb. Going to be some monster scores from the BIG
stations.

I spent the first half hour or so sweeping for European stations to get a good
start on the points. Then ran a bunch.

Some notable signals
G4AMT  quite loud
N6RK  also quite loud from the west coast
Many other quite loud European signals in addition to G4AMT

About a week ago I finished building a W8JI 8 antenna circle array using the
write up by Joel, W5ZN. Didn't think I'd have it ready for this contest but
everything went better than expected and was ready a week ago.

All I can say is WOW! This thing really plays well. Very directional and very
quiet but good enough output from it to only need the K3 preamp. Much better
than any beverage I've used.

Listening to the circle array to the NE and a bog to the west made it quite easy
to copy signals from just about any direction.

The biggest thrill for me was getting called by a JA and then, the very next
contact, called by a VK. And both, of course, very near the end of my time on
the band. That was wonderful.

All in all I think this was the best I've done in the contest and probably the
most fun too. Being able to hear REALLY well makes it so much better :)

Equipment
K3 (dual receiver)
Alpha 91b
two 105' towers phased with a Comtek box
couple bogs and the 8 antenna circular array of 8 passive antennas.
N1MM+ for logging

Tree, thanks for once again putting on an enjoyable contest. One of the best on
topband. And thanks all for the contacts, and, in some cases, your patience
while I tried to get me sleep deprived mind to decode what you sent. Thanks too
to all the participants from across the pond,in both directions. What a great
turn out of DX stations.

Ron
N4XD