[3830] RTTY Roundup K7QA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup K7QA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 02:05:42 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2020

Call: K7QA
Operator(s): K7QA
Station: K7QA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 6

   80:   109       0
   40:    62       0
   20:   125       0
   15:     0       0
   10:     0       0
-----------------------
Total:   296       0  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 7  Total Score = 15,984

Club: BigSky

Comments:

62 years ago as a young contester, I visited an RTTY enthusiast with a shack
full of old AP/UPI teletype machines. All this just to read the text of a QSO?
I gladly stuck with CW until today. I keep seeing the RTTY mode on the IC7610
which is used frequently for tune ups, but not QSOs. I figured with so many
CWops buddies showing up in RTTY contest results, I may be missing something.

Thankfully I didn't have to go find an old AP/UPI tty box in storage at the
radio station, so I hacked my way into setting up the rig for the RTTY RU. Never
did get it integrated with N1MM logging so had to use 2 keyboards. There was so
much activity, I just had to start running. Not really knowing what the hell I
was doing for quite a while, I managed to get a few Qs logged. Apologies to the
seasoned RTTY vets worked who had to conclude I was an RTTY lid.

Ran barefoot with 100 watts until I saw F6AGM on 80m and managed to snag Michel
but only with the amp turned on. Most of the rest of the Qs were LP assisted but
the spots were confusing with all the FT digi boys mixed in. Didn't appear that
FT8 is very compelling for rapid fire contesting. But I gotta admit, RTTY can be
*almost* as much fun as CW.

QA