[3830] RTTY Roundup AB1J SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup AB1J SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 15:45:50 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2020

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham EMA
Operating Time (hrs): 11:35

   80:
   40:   103      232
   20:     9
   15:
   10:
-----------------------
Total:   112      232  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 30  Total Score = 27,520

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Solar stats at 1330z Sunday: SSN=11 eSSN=0 SFI=72 Kp=1

The point here was to practice my FTx skills. While I've had some success in FTx
contests, I'm still shaky on  certain things. Exception handling is a big,
clumsy issue in a synchronous mode. Things went well, so maybe I'm getting the
hang of it. This is the first time I've felt confident.

I enjoy FT8 more than FT4. FT8 is slower but easier for me to handle. RTTY is
more productive and maintains a better rate. I ended up spreading myself almost
equally QSO-wise over FT4 (113), FT8 (119) and RTTY (112), but RTTY had more
than twice the rate of the other modes.

FTx is a different kind of mode and doesn't work well when mixed in with RTTY.
FTx only contests are more interesting and require their own special skill set.
Anyone who thinks you just sit there clicking your mouse and swigging a brew
while watching a football game hasn't tried it.

I had one major accomplishment, working JR4OZR on FT8 for my first 40m JA ever,
after almost 62 years on the air and over 125K QSOs. And it's already confirmed
in LoTW. This is an example of what I can do with FT8 that I can't with RTTY or
even CW. Of course, big gun New Englanders work JAs all the time on 40m, but not
with anything like my antenna.

I planned to do all bands, but soon decided to stick to 40m as I plan a lot of
40m activity this winter and wanted to check out the band over a 24 hour period.
40m is the best band at the moment and the only place I have a half decent
signal. Conditions were just average, though, not great for DX.

All logging was done in N1MM+. All FTx logging was manual when prompted. I was
careful to avoid duplicate FTx log entries within the same QSO. This happens
when data gets repeated to complete a QSO, resulting in multiple RR73s being
sent.

Something in FTx which bothers me is delayed calls. I call someone and there's
no response to me or anyone else. I move on and then get a reply a few cycles
later. This happens more than it used to, both in and out of contests.

For those in ND, ME and little Rhodie, don't be strangers. Come on in, the
ether's fine.

Overall, an interesting experience. Thanks for the QSOs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
WSJT-X v2.1.2
N1MM Logger+  MMTTY(narrow) MMTTY(wide) 2Tone(Selective)
ViewProp
20m attic dipole
40m 66' terrain following stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner and indoor
baseboard following counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog