[3830] RTTY Roundup W5AJ SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, woodr90@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W5AJ SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2020 18:34:18 +0000
                    ARRL RTTY Roundup - 2020

Call: W5AJ
Operator(s): W5AJ
Station: W5AJ

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WTX
Operating Time (hrs): 18
Radios: SO2R

   80:   150
   40:   190
   20:   374
   15:    40
   10:
-----------------------
Total:   754       0  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 47  Total Score = 76,154

Club: MIDLAND ARC

Comments:

And where was ND this year?

Couple of months ago, decided to get serious about SO2R in RU for 2020.
Devised plan to insure each rig had day time and night time antenna.  Bought
welding machine, practiced welding and then repaired OLD Wilson tubular crank up
tower.    Assembled Cushcraft 15-4 Yagi & installed on crank up tower.
Someday that antenna will be useful, Got lot of experience without many QSOs on
15.

Read about W6NL conversion for Cushcraft 402.   Reads like my 40-meter antenna
for next decade.
About two weeks before the contest, it became clear that man hours to finish the
40-meter conversion, get antenna on tower and complete other tasks before RU was
not going to happen.   HF2V was better than no antenna & spent day getting
HF2V on line.  That was after trying 40-meter vertical dipole off 25G tower but
the MFJ-259 said no go.   Then tried V, MFJ-259 never liked it.  Wondering now
if there is some RF field near my QTH interfering with antenna analyzer.

The two K3 rigs are stacked, matching the QSO entry windows (upper/lower).  Both
rigs on 400hz filters during RU.  Was able to get on one practice session, that
was great.   One K3 was putting hash on other.   (a feeling like watching your
favorite QB throw to the wrong team….)  After further testing, didn’t matter
which rig – if it was attached to HF2V, it caused the hash.   Installed Coax
common mode choke at remote antenna switch, fixed!    This choke is eight large
ferrite cores with couple passes of the coax through them.
Writelog Version 12.40F performed.    Mortty used for FSK on one K3, Transistor
keying with writelog doing software generated FSK on other.   MMTTY window &
cloned 2Tone for each rig.   100% RTTY.
About Dec 31st, Dr said I had flu, nothing pretty there, they don’t seem to
have pills for that….    Started contest about 2330Z, electing to sleep &
hope that would help.   Managed to stay in chair about 18 hours.

Good things:   Full sized 80 meter vertical played, had some Europe answering my
100 Watt CQ’s, that made vertical work worthwhile.   The 40 meter HF2V allowed
me to play SO2R and interleave some QSOs, nice although I feel 40 suffered.
Had goal for 800 QSO’s and 80 Multipliers, happy with the results and SO2R
practice.

Missed not having QSO with KE5OG this year, KE5OG is the West Texas RTTY SO2R
King.