[3830] NAQP CW AD1C Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jjreisert@alum.mit.edu
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW AD1C Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2020 19:26:39 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: AD1C
Operator(s): AD1C
Station: AD1C

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Colorado
Operating Time (hrs): 6

  160:
   80:    4     2
   40:  227    47
   20:  275    45
   15:   20     8
   10:
-------------------
Total:  526   102  Total Score = 53,652

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Team: Smuggler-Union miners

Comments:

Radio:     ICOM IC-7610, 100 watts
Antennas:  Hy-Gain AV-640 multi-band vertical
           1/2 size G5RV dipole in attic
           Loaded (shortened) dipole for 80 meters
Software:  WriteLog for Windows

I knew I would only be able to operate the first 6 hours of the contest.  I
started by working a few locals on 80m, and they would turn out to be my only
QSOs on that band.

About 15 minutes into the contest, my water glass tipped over.  Not enough to
spill water everywhere, but enough to snap the plexiglass "dit" paddle
off my Schurr Profi II key (the key sacrificed itself to avert disaster).  I
continued to operate but grew frustrated that I could not use the other paddle
(plugged into the radio) to break WriteLog's keying.  So with 5 minutes left in
the first hour, I made a field repair and got the Schurr going again.

The first hour felt slow due to all the distractions.  15m wasn't open as well
as I had hoped (other than to all the Walts in FL), but I did come back around
1945z to work a half-dozen guys in CA.

I tried to go to 40m earlier than usual knowing I would not be around past 5
p.m. local time, but there was no rate.  After a couple of frustrating runs, one
interrupted by various digital transmissions, I did finally have a nice run down
at 7008 KHz.  I was spotted on the DX cluster, because my dad W1JR called in
shortly afterward.

I checked 80m with about 10 minutes left of my operating time, but no one could
dig out my weak signal, so I finished up on 40m making my last QSO at exactly
0000z.

I missed ME, NE, NE and SD.  I had worked zillions of stations in WA before my
first OR QSO, then worked several in a few minutes.  Weird.  I never heard KM3T
in VP5-land.  Sorry, Dave.

Best name: YYZ
RIP, Neil!