[3830] NAQP SSB W1TJL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w1tjl@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB W1TJL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2020 13:10:27 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL
Station: W1TJL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN32ra
Operating Time (hrs): 9.25

  160:
   80:  166    41
   40:  242    40
   20:  202    50
   15:    9     7
   10:    2     2
-------------------
Total:  621   140  Total Score = 86,940

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Trouble!

What was going to be a fun and relaxing contest became a lot less fun and a lot
less relaxing.  About 11:30 AM I began to raise the towers and put up the 160,
etc.  Then as I went in to test each of them I found that:

   •    SteppIR 2 was infinite SWR
   •    The 40M beam center frequency had shifted much higher to the top of the
band instead of it’s normal 7.080 center
   •    The 80M vertical was sagging (it is suspended in a huge pine
tree-something slipped)
   •    The 160M vertical had infinite SWR

I scrambled around and figured I could live for now with the 40M beam.  I
tightened the 80M vertical but it’s SWR curve was also near the top of the
band.  WTF!

We had 2 major wind storms and ¾ inch of radial ice in the last 2 weeks.
Murphy.  Something got damaged, changed, etc…

All that said conditions were quite good!  Good runs on 20 (on the SteppIR 1
antenna), 40M even with the 100W and high SWR curve and 80!  80 was booming
early and I even work VK6APG on 100 Watts.  He said real signal was 59.  Lots of
Europe on 80 although I wasn’t looking for them.  But they called, I worked.

So now the troubleshooting begins.

Still had a good time, ate well (Susan mad homemade raviolis and homemade
sauce!) and I worked about 9 hours…

73, Tom W1TJL