[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kf2mr@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KF2MR/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2020 14:38:28 +0000

  5.7:    7     2
  10G:    5     2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  424    64  Total Score = 73,024

Club: OVHFA

Comments:

Operated from FN02, FN03, FN12, FN13

I enjoyed the contest and the level of activity in the area was great. I was not
as well prepared for this one and the weather was terrible, but I made the best
of what I could. All 10 bands seemed to be operating well and I found creative
ways to operate 10G from inside the car instead of going out into the cold. Not
an easy task to manipulate an 18" dish inside the car!

I am glad to have made many contacts with the VE3/VA3 stations. In our region,
the partnership between the Southern Ontario stations and Western NY stations
has made this area grow in terms of activity, specifically on the microwaves.
2020 is the 70th anniversary of the Ontario VHF Association and I am glad to
support them this year.

One highlight of the contest was the 10 band fixed station, N2WK. Wayne added
5&10G just a week or so before the outage. We worked all grids up through
5G, but had some trouble on 10G from a couple of grids. Together with N2YB with
his 9 band fixed station, I always have some guaranteed contacts whenever I show
up to a new grid.

Another highlight was K0SM/2 working 10G from his garage. I had been reading
some of the activity reports on email as he has worked many grids that way
before the contest. Every attempt I made worked, even when there was no direct
path. After working N2WK from inside the car, I tried K0SM with the dish hanging
out of the passengers side window and made an easy contact. There is no way I
could have setup outside on the hilltop with the wind and snow, so there was a
lot of satisfaction in that contact.

I look forward to contesting in the rest of 2020.