[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KR1ST Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KR1ST Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 01:24:33 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  290    78  Total Score = 27,612

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Rigs: IC-9700 (2m, 70cm), IC-7300 (6m, 1.25m with DEMI transverter)
PWR:  100W on 6, 2, 1.25m; 75W on 70cm
Ants: - M2 6M3
      - M2 2M9
      - M2 222-10EZ
      - M2 432-6WL

Wow, that was a ton of fun! This was easily my best January VHF contest ever. I
more than quadrupled my score from last year, but that was easy to do when your
antennas don't freeze up and you add a band that gives you 2 points for each Q.
I'm really happy with the 9700/7300 combination for VHF contesting. I wish the
bandscopes had a higher resolution, though. You really do have to tune around or
else you may miss some weaker stations that do not register on the bandscopes. I
did not have that problem with the IC-9100 to which I added my own bandscopes
based on the Raspberry Pi and the Gqrx software. I experienced no equipment
failures and the antennas and rotor did not freeze up. We did get about 5"
of snow, but the ice they predicted stayed away, fortunately. The only problem I
experienced is that N1MM+ logs the wrong mode after you close the WSJT-X
program. It keeps logging QSO's as FT8 even when the radio is not in a digital
mode.

The conditions were flat for me, except for a brief opening to the South on
Saturday, and to the Mid-West on Sunday and VP9 that really helped the grid
count. I had marginal success on MS with only 4 Q's. I decoded many stations,
but I really need more power to be successful on MS.

A special shout out to my wife, KG4KFV, for providing me Q's on 4 bands,
including 2 very much needed multipliers on the two higher bands, and also for
taking care of the snow while I sat in my comfy shack working the bands! Also
many thanks for the rovers who went out and braved the weather conditions to
provide us with contacts from many grids.

73,
--Alex KR1ST