[3830] WFD NG7M 1H HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WFD NG7M 1H HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 18:46:56 +0000
                    Winter Field Day - 2020

Call: NG7M
Operator(s): NG7M
Station: NG7M

Class: 1H HP
QTH: Utah
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:  124    230      0
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  222:
  432:
----------------------------
Total:  124    230      0  Mults = 2  Total Score = 956

Club:

Comments:

First Winter Field Day... Interesting... I expected Field Day like operators and
wasn't disappointed, but it was nice to see a lot of activity.  Now that I read
the multiplier rules, it was a mistake to only operate one band!  I should have
made one Q per mode on each band to maximize the mults, but oh well.  I actually
had more fun on SSB in this one.  Ran for an hour or so on Saturday and then on
Sunday again for 30-45 minutes and had a nice pile on SSB going which was fun.

Back to my CW comments... wow, I really mean wow.  It was nice to see new guys
get on and what appeared to be guys with very humble antenna setups, but the CW
code reader factor seemed really high.  I was shocked at how back the operating
was on CW as far as calling while I was already working someone.  One call stood
out in particular... W9SAC, WOW... crazy timing where they must have been using
a code reader.  I don't mind mentioning the callsign because it's a Salvation
Army Mobile or something... the timing and insistence on calling me while
working other guys over and over and over was out of control.  I love to work
new guys and guys that are learning, but I highly recommend not using code
readers.

So off that CW code reader soap box... there were appears to have been a lot of
guys running QRP too and sorry about not being able to copy some of you... just
way too weak.  The real magic on the QRP front is not the QRP station or
antenna, it's the guys on the other end with a beam at height trying to dig out
your ESP at the noise signals. :)  Still fun to work you but it sure felt like a
lot of QRP guys calling which is to be expected I guess.  For the winter field
day, the remote not home setups are not going to be as elaborate as on a June
field day I assume.

Anyway, other than the CW comments about guys using code readers and being
completely oblivious to what was going on on the exchange timing, I would do
this one again.  I really liked the amount of activity which was nice.

Max NG7M