[3830] CQ160 CW WA7AN(K9DR) Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9DR@cox.net
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW WA7AN(K9DR) Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 21:37:51 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: WA7AN
Operator(s): K9DR
Station: WA7AN

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: AZ
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 590  State/Prov = 55  Countries = 29  Total Score = 122,976

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Quit the contest about an hour before sunrise because: 1. CQ'd for 15 minutes
with no takers. 2. Tuning up and down the band for several minutes revealed no
new calls. 3. The N1MM+ bandmap was all gray. 4. Listened to NA7TB running
Asians that didn't make a whisper in my K3 via the K9AY receive antenna.  That
told me it was time to give up and get some sleep!  Seriously, though, it was a
pretty good contest. Thankful for the brief, but good opening to Europe Saturday
night.

Most irritating to not work Nebraska again, preventing a contest WAS. I have a
weekly SSB sked that includes WB0BIK in Omaha and I will vent on him again
tomorrow about his lack of CW skills! I got WY twice via WY7FD and W6KGP, who
were primarily S&P and called me. No problems with ND, SD and WV. CT was
last state to be logged late Sunday morning. Lots of Canadian Provinces missed.

I did a quick review of my previous efforts in this contest and see that this
was my best ever score by 20 percent, but primarily due to more DX.  Number of
QSOs only up by 1.6 percent more than my previous best.  Since it's not likely I
can much improve my noisy QTH on a suburban Mesa 80 x 120 foot lot, I need to
work on technique and planning to get the rate up.  I'm certain, if I'd done
things a bit differently, I certainly could have made another 100+ 2 and 5 point
contacts and very significantly improved my score.  Oh, well...wait until next
year!