[3830] CQ160 CW N4HB Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW N4HB Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 23:00:24 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: N4HB
Operator(s): N4HB AB4SF K1EEE
Station: N4HB

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 30

Total:  QSOs = 983  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 58  Total Score = 389,840

Club:

Comments:

Thanks to all those who worked us this year! We tried something new, running a
small multi-op type entry. We only had three operators, me, K1EEE and AB4SF, but
we had a blast doing it. Virginia is a really competitive state, with a number
of high-end operations that have huge 160 Meter capability, so we knew we
couldn't win, but we might be able to make a good showing. My location in
Virginia, on the water near the Chesapeake Bay, has excellent ground
conductivity where the "Inverted L" is located, so I do not have to
use any ground radials. That keeps it simple, doesn't take a lot of area and it
works well!

Most of the weekend the conditions were pretty good to most of the US and
Europe. We had some storm related noise issues on Saturday evening causing us to
ask for some repeats; but generally, it was good. European signals were much
stronger Saturday evening than Friday night and were able to work a good number
of them that we heard. We did miss a few US multipliers which we normally have
no trouble working, such as WA, ID, NE and SD. KL7 was spotted a number of times
during the contest, but we never heard one. My south and west Beverage receive
antennas were also not working, and the winter weather isn't the time to
troubleshoot them, so we had to rely on my "Inverted L" or my receive
"Active Loop" for signals to the south and west. Thank goodness my N/E
Beverage was still working to Europe!

Hopefully, we'll see you next year.

160 Meter station setup:

Flex-6600M transceiver
Acom 1500 amplifier
175 foot "Inverted L", for TX and Receive
DX Engineering's, Active Magnetic Loop, receive only antenna
430 foot N/E Beverage