[3830] CQ160 CW G3TXF Single Op Assisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW G3TXF Single Op Assisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2020 23:40:44 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: G3TXF
Operator(s): G3TXF
Station: G3TXF

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Devon
Operating Time (hrs): 25

Total:  QSOs = 1572  State/Prov = 48  Countries = 79  Total Score = 1,176,782

Club: Three As Contest Group

Comments:

The CQWW-160 Contest is always great fun, particularly as everyone can get some
sleep during the contest, without missing too much.

A single Inv-Vee dipole was installed at 85ft on the day before the Contest.
Last year I had used a 100ft vertical with loads of radials, but this was just
too much effort to repeat again this year. At the "field day" style
contest location, all antennas are installed before each contest and then
removed afterwards.

Using a dipole rather than the vertical, I was expecting it to be more of a
struggle to work the DX. And indeed it was!

Did anyone else notice some strange "long delay" type echos at around
0535z on the Sunday? For a period of just a few minutes I could hear the tail
end of my last "dah" coming back after I went to receive. During the
short time it was there, the echo was quite loud. I've heard echoes like that
(but longer) on 10m, but as far as I can recall, I've never heard them on 160m.

73 - Nigel G3TXF