[3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB/40 TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY WPX AB1J SOSB/40 TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 15:38:29 +0000
                    CQ WPX RTTY Contest - 2020

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOSB/40 LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 27:21

------------
   80:
   40:  451
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This is my favorite contest. It comes at a time of the year when I need a nice
diversion. Overall my contest preferences are RTTY > CW > SSB.  FTx fits
in somewhere, but I'm not sure exactly where as it still has some operating bugs
to straighten out, like agreement on when a QSO ends. If that gets sorted out,
FTx would go between CW and SSB.

RTTY has a nice balance between me and the machine. And I've enjoyed putting
together my station, software and hardware. It's more difficult than firing up
WSJT-S, but more rewarding too.

There's a current discussion on [CQ-Contest]: Is RTTY Only a Contest Mode? The
answer is Yes and it's been this way for a while. The last serious non-contest
RTTY was in the ARRL Centennial in 2014. The advent of FT8 in 2017 drove the
last stake through the heart of everyday RTTY, including DXpeditions.

I chose 40m figuring that would be the happenin' band, but conditions weren't
good at my QTH. Only 10% of my QSOs were European. That's low.  Maybe I was
teleported to California and didn't notice. Saturday was better than Sunday, but
I struggled both days.  The fun came toward the end as I built up a nice QSO
total.

Had 20% running. That's somewhat low.

My best WPX-RTTY 40m effort was back in 2010 with a much less capable station:
Score = 415,872, 419 QSOs and 288 prefixes in 26.2 hours. My goal was to beat
that and I failed although I had more QSOs this time. Conditions must have been
better then with more high point QSOs.

One thing I didn't do this time is stay up all night either night. I can't
easily do that any more. Gettin' old. Creaky.

I don't have any war stories to report this time. Nothing out of the ordinary
occurred. No anomalous events. No one refused to work me because they thought I
was a dupe. No one weirded me out. Almost everyone followed good operating
practices. In that sense the contest was a real joy. Cool running.

Thanks for all the QSOs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+
MMTTY(narrow)  MMTTY(wide)  2Tone(Selective)  GRITTY
40m outdoor 66' stealth wire, Dentron manual tuner, indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog