[3830] ARRLDX CW K3WJV SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k3wjv@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW K3WJV SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 01:34:17 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: K3WJV
Operator(s): K3WJV
Station: K3WJV

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: PA
Operating Time (hrs): 37
Radios: SO2R

  160:   81    55
   80:  384    84
   40:  497    95
   20:  935    99
   15:   55    45
   10:    8     8
-------------------
Total: 1960   386  Total Score = 2,268,522

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

Had much fun. I tried real hard to somehow beat last year's score but 15 mtrs
was the leak in the dike. Just no way to make up for 23 missing mults on 15 even
though I had 8 mults on 10mtrs this year and none last year. Total mults were 24
less than last year with 23 of those missing on 15mtrs.  Q's were 14 less than
last year.

I did very little actual so2r operating. No dual CQ and only made a few Q's on
another band while running but its a nice advantage to have a radio on another
band to listen and set Q's up to work people a little faster than needing to QSY
 a single radio. Hopefully I will stop procrastinating about upgrading antennas.
Not having a 2nd beam is a real detriment not being able to try and work stuff
on 15 or 10 when a lot of time is spent running on 20.

I was pretty surprised how well I did on 160 with my poor antenna especially the
2nd night. I was getting some Europe on the 1st or 2nd call many times and did
very similar to last year's 160 results so I was happy with that. I never have
noise problems but on Sunday on 15 mtrs it sounded like just like key clicks
were across the whole cw band, some kind of irritating noise.  I found it to go
away when I was beaming at 200 degrees and worked quite a few Caribbean that
way. I also had good luck working the same area on 10 mtrs that way for some
reason.

Not looking forward to the phone weekend but we gotta do what we gotta do.

Rural wooded location 1255ft ASL

FT1000MP & Acom 2000a
K3/P3 & KPA1500

2el K4KIO 5 band Hexbeam @30ft  G-450A rotor & Green Heron controller
Inv vees @ 50ft for 40m-80m-trapped 160
Rx ant - 200ft NE/SW kd9sv rbog

SO2R >> TopTen DxDoubler-Band Aides-relays-W2VJN stubs
       (not full blown so2r yet - need 2nd beam)

N1MM+ contest logger & DxLab master logger