[3830] ARRLDX CW VE4VT SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE4VT SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 02:40:32 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 28.1

  160:   11     8
   80:   50    35
   40:  218    81
   20:  401    97
   15:   74    35
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  754   256  Total Score = 578,308

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Most folks seem to think conditions were pretty good for ths time of the cycle.
I would agree that 80 and 40m were better than I have seen than for quite some
time. 20m seemed pretty typical. Openings were longer, stronger on Saturday than
on Sunday for this QTH.

10m was non-existent. Checked several times each day.

15m was open to only to the south, the Caribbean and south America as usual. Not
a strong opening but still available. The one surprise was working EI7M via a
skewed path Sunday. One other G station was heard but could not hear me. This is
promising of better days ahead.

20m was pretty typical. Opened to Europe around sunrise and closed with a thud
around sunset. Europe was strong and stable for about 90minutes and then started
to fade so that by noon local, only a very few top tier stations could still be
heard. The opening to Japan and Asia on Sunday was better than Saturday. No
usual auroral flutter on the JA signals was a real nice feature.

40m was the star this weekend. The band opened to Europe about 3 hours before
sunset. Signals were loud and free of flutter. The band noise was also unusually
low. Worked most of my my mults well before sunset. Conditions only got worse
after sunset.  Likewise, 40m opened to Asia just after local sunrise. Forgetting
to check the band in lieu of working 20m in the mnorning likjely means leaving a
lot of mults unworked.

80m is a challenge from this postage stamp size lot. The noise level is high and
recieving antennas just aren't a viable option. tyhe surprise this year came
witrh 10minutes left in the contest when I did a quick checkl of the band and
was surprised to hear plenty of European stations. For most rwading this, that
would not normally be a big deal, but when we hear Europe on 80m in VE4, it is
cause for a celebration. So here was greyline to Europe and and we were actually
experiencing the bump in signal strength. Added 6 new mults in the last 5
minutes.

160m was a disappointment. I am not sure if it was conditions or just a lack of
activity. Working zone 8 was tough from here this weekend.

There are some really good CW ops out there. Just amazed at their speed of
copying and responding. My respect and admiration to them all.

We now get to do it all over again in a couple weeks on SSB.

73 Ed

IC7700 with SPE Amp running 400-500W
3 Element Yagi at 51 feet for 20/15
2 Element F12 yagi for 40M at 60'