[3830] ARRLDX CW V47UM(W3UL) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w3ul.bill@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW V47UM(W3UL) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2020 14:24:25 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: V47UM
Operator(s): W3UL
Station: V47UM

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 28

  160:    6     5
   80:  480    50
   40:  201    44
   20:  789    57
   15:  630    52
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total: 2106   208  Total Score = 1,314,144

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Thanks for all the calls from PVRC folks!  (I suspect FRC was out in full
force.)  Many familiar CWOps members were in there too.

BPL is used here on Nevis and caused havoc on the lower bands - especially on
40M. With carriers every 2-3 kHZ and 5 S-units above the noise level S&P was
all but impossible.  Strong winds and occasional power outages are are a part of
the island life.  Am I getting any sympathy?

I made a portable (18 lbs & fits into a ski bag) full sized 20M beam and
pointed it toward NA.  It did the job and seemed especially potent to the
Pacific Northwest.  On the other bands an Inverted Vee abt 100 ft off the deck
by the ocean seemed to perform well.

Last year I had St Kitts & Nevis(V4) to myself for this contest.  This year
there were 3 operations from V4.  I expected a lower score but some added BIC
operating time yielded an improved result.

Band     QSOs     Pts  Sec  Pt/Q
   1.8       6      18    5   3.0
   3.5     480    1440   50   3.0
     7     201     603   44   3.0