[3830] CQ160 SSB N4XL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, knason00@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 SSB N4XL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2020 15:54:11 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 13

Total:  QSOs = 415  State/Prov = 47  Countries = 8  Total Score = 50,545

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Friday night had good rate with all the US stations. S&P'ing at around 90/hr
for a couple hours. Had a max hourly rate of 81/hr which is definitely a strong
performance from this station. Saturday night the hoped for started happening
when I began to hear DX. Unfortunately, I had to pull the plug before I could
take advantage of it. Was able to return at 0700 UTC Sunday and pick up, but not
very many EU's still around. Was pleasantly surprised to pull SQ7CL out of the
mud answering my CQ. Think that's the first time anyone other than a NA station
ever called me on 160 SSB. Took a few tries. I was ready to give up, but he was
thankfully persistent. Things really slowed to a crawl at the end.

Hard to work west of Colorado. Heard other locals saying west of the Mississippi
difficult for them. Was able to easily snag AZ, ID, CO ND and CA, but had to
work for WA and SC. Never heard MT or NV, KL7 or KH7. Not many VE's on. Only
heard one VE6, but couldn't get him. Able to get ON and NB, but that was it for
Canadians. Didn't even hear anyone besides those already mentioned. All those
missed mults really hurt the score.

The K9AY loops are still down so no receive antennas here. Using a 65 ft tall
and 60 ft horizontal Inv-L with a decent ground radial field. It's proven to be
an effective antenna. Orientation of the flat top going SSE supposedly gives a
stronger signal into the US midwest. Anecdotally, judging by the number of
stations from those areas that came back while running that is proving to be
true. Looking forward to getting the receive loops back.

Glad to work my fellow Swamp Fox Contest Group members.

Thanks to all.

Kevan
TS590SG
Inv-L