[3830] UBA CW OE1CIW SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] UBA CW OE1CIW SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2020 16:59:01 +0000
                    UBA DX Contest, CW - 2020

Call: OE1CIW
Operator(s): OE1CIW
Station: OE1CIW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: JN88EE
Operating Time (hrs): 11:40

   80:  106    29
   40:  139    36
   20:   78    11
   15:   15    12
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  338    88  Total Score = 77,616

Club:

Comments:

Good activity with lot of stations on the radio bands but very poor propagation
especially during the night and in the first hours of the early morning. I just
got 2 stations on 40 m from USA and Canada so extremly lousy band conditions
this night on 40 m - normally i have a lot of stations in the log from this
area. On 20 m the band didn´t open to USA about noon like always, later on i
could only work two stations from USA - K3ZO and K5ZD. K1ZZ was very loud but i
didn´t get him in the log.

Some stations seem to use extremly narrow filters for CW all the time, because
they are deaf for weak signals or signals not exactly on their receiving
frequency. Even though the signal is really very strong they can´t hear the
signal because other calling stations are sometimes some Hertz beside the
bandwith of the used CW filter and so they can´t hear them. I´m sure this is
(also) the reason for poor score at some (big gun) stations but propagation was
also not good too.

If the frequency is clear and nobody else is active around your frequency there
is no problem at all. But if the bands are getting busy the skills to receive
the signal properly of the other station and even more the skills for proper
using your own radio in the right way is maybe the most important part of a
contest. I guess some ham operators don´t use their own receiver in the right
way and maybe they don´t know how to use them properly - what a pity ...

Before this contest has been started i was hoping for some Sporadic-E and 15 m
band has really opened from 1000-1200 utc for some contacts with different
countries even with belgium stations which gave me also some new multipliers. I
also have tried to catch any station on 10 m - i even called CQ on 10 m
sometimes but no other signals has been monitored here.

Thank you guys for your patience when QSB or QRM was our problem sometimes ...
and thanks for your calls during the contest - i really appreciate every single
contact so thanks for all those contacts and cuagn in the next contest!

73 de Michael OE1CIW