[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4LT(@W4DUG) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lromero56@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W4LT(@W4DUG) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 03:10:03 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4DUG

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 5:43
Remote Operation

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:   98    45
   20:   90    44
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  188    89  Total Score = 49,929

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Rig: FlexRadio 6400 located at the Tampa ARC facilities, Flex Maestro + PC with
N1MMPlus on my dining room table connected over the Florida Simulcast Group
Tampa Bay HamWAN 5.9GHZ metropolitan network

Antennas: Force 12 EF240X @ 118ft, Force 12 C31XR @ 108ft, both fixed and
unturnable at 43 degrees (EU heading)

First attempt to see how the Flex operates in SSB mode in contest conditions.
Very pleased with the result!  This remote operation stuff takes a little
getting used to, with a bit of latency in op to radio and back to op. All in
all, the system worked extremely well.

I was surprised on how easy it was to set up the 6400 for competitive contest
level audio performance.  The radio really likes the Yamaha CM500 headset.  Just
copied my EQ curves for the same mic from my TS590, put them into the Flex,
turned on "DX PLUS" for the processor and go! Amazingly clean signal
ensued, with lots of solid punch and depth of modulation.

All search and pounce except for a couple of short (4 Q's or less) runs.  Even
with big antennas, in this contest, you have to have QRO to hold a run
frequency.

Biggest surprise was snagging VK3GK long path on 40m WAY past my sunrise!
Somewhat limited in that I couldn't turn my antennas remotely, but that will
come later when I figure out how to do it.

My wife wants the Maestro off of the Dining Room table before next weekend.  Oh,
well, maybe I will do the next one from the back porch.

73

Lu - W4LT