[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7QA SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K7QA SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 03:22:05 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K7QA
Operator(s): K7QA
Station: K7QA

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MT
Operating Time (hrs): 20+

  160:    3     3
   80:   36    25
   40:   47    37
   20:  372    89
   15:   11     6
   10:
-------------------
Total:  469   160  Total Score = 225,120

Club: BigSky

Comments:

Getting serious about any SSB contest is not on my to do list but I do enjoy
snagging some exotic DX to beef up the DXCC totals, especially in pileups. 20
meters certainly did not disappoint with ZP5, VR2, J68, TO3, TO8, 4O4, 4X6, C37,
V55, HB0, PZ5 & V85 in the log.

I had given up 15m for dead until a brief opening to KH6, the Carib and SA
appeared  Sunday. A few of those worked wanted me to move to 10m but it was out
cold. Need a few more years before the overdue sunspots wakes up its long
hibernation.

Slogging thru the noise on the low bands where I seemed to have spent over half
my BIC time was not fun. V85RH had an outstanding signal on all bands and was
easy to work on 20, but he obviously could not hear most of the hoards calling
on 40 and 80. My halfsquare wire made 40m very tough going with the 2 ele beam
still broken.

A low noise rx antenna is key to working low band DX. If ya can't hear 'em, you
certainly won't work 'em.

Kudos to the DX stns who could peel through huge pileups with superb efficiency.
It would seem much easier with RIT on CW. CW is always easier and frankly much
more enjoyable.