[3830] ARRLDX SSB N9OU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, netjohn@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N9OU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 04:45:40 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N9OU
Operator(s): N9OU
Station: N9OU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

  160:
   80:    6     6
   40:   72    40
   20:   31    24
   15:   12     9
   10:
-------------------
Total:  121    79  Total Score = 28,677

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Part time effort plagued by Monsieur Murphy.

Since I live in a restricted area (thank you, HOA!), every contest for me is a
Field Day! After I set up my antennas, first key down shows very high SWR.  OK,
check all connections.  Still high SWR.  Lower the dipole, check there.  Still
high SWR.  Replace the coax. Still high SWR. Remove the 80m traps (reducing the
15/40/80m dipole to just 40m). Still high SWR. Change out the dipole center.
Perfect.  Not sure what's the matter, but we're back on the air with 40m. Too
much time spent on that, now just a little bit of radio time on Friday night
local.

Saturday is Pinewood Derby build day with my younger two. Cut some cars, let
them sand while Daddy plays radio.  First, change dipole wires to 20m.  A few
Qs. Stop radio, help them remember how to use sandpaper.  One more Q. No, sand
this way.  One more Q. You didn't listen, try it this way. One more Q. Finally,
a break in Pinewood Derby and I get some radio time.  Ok, break over, now it's
time to work on the axles and wheels.  Done with that, and 20 minutes of radio
time before honey-do list comes up.  Quick task, back to radio for a few Qs.
Dinner. Afterward, a few Qs, followed by reading to the kids and then some work
for my youngest's birthday party the on Sunday. Radio time late at night (now
with 40m/80m working).

Sunday morning was getting ready for the birthday party (she turned 9 last
week), with a few moments here or there.  Finally, after the birthday party, I
get almost 2 hours of radio time before I have to finish.

Oh, and Senior Murphy plagued me all Saturday as my Signalink USB was not
working at all; any time PTT was applied, it was like the Tx-Request on the ACC
of my FT-857D: solid CW tone, even shifted down 600 Hz.  Took a total reset of
the 857D to fix that, then of course, I had to change back all the settings.  I
did that Saturday night, spending precious mic time on fixing the
voicekeyer/digital mode.

Still, I'll take the contest time.  Thanks for all the DX that worked with me to
get my 100w signal.

73, N9OU