[3830] ARRLDX SSB K3KU SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K3KU SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2020 21:50:17 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:    2     2
   80:   14    14
   40:   26    19
   20:   19    16
   15:   41    25
   10:
-------------------
Total:  102    76  Total Score = 23,028

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

First thing Saturday night I fixed the TS-850 (adjust ALC pot).  The I operated
Saturday evening and Sunday when I was available and as long as I was having
fun.  "Fun" meant avoid 20M; see what I can do on the low bands; see
what the high bands bring; work PJ2T and the various PVRC expeditions
(especially VP5M) as much as possible.

There sure are a lot of mult's and QSOs in the Caribbean and northern SA.  I did
manage a few Europeans on 75M (those guys can really hear!).

Many loud Europeans on 40M (and they hear well, too).  Neat experience on 40M --
worked Eastern Europe, KH6, and KL7 all within a few minutes. Also tickled to
work VK on 40M SSB (not such a big deal, and he was a Big Gun, but it was my
first).  Heard one of the JA Big Guns on 40M, but could not get even a
"QRZ?".

Only thing heard on 10M (remember, this was Sunday afternoon) was W3LPL CQing.
I called to say hello, and asked if they were working anything.  "One mult
(4U1UN) and a dupe."  For all of Sunday!  I think I had more fun.

A key to maximizing fun in SSB contests is not to get serious and to take lots
of breaks.