[3830] TBDC WJ9B Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC WJ9B Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2020 18:01:38 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Spring

Call: WJ9B
Operator(s): WJ9B
Station: WJ9B

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ID
Operating Time (hrs): 6.5

Total:  QSOs = 167  Total Score = 1,212

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I heard one Eu but he didn't hear my 100 watts.  I worked 6 Ja stations with
good signals, just not too many Ja on-the-air. Vintage gear: 75a4 and Ranger II
with solid state amp, 100 watts output measured on Bird meter. Ant: sloping
wires 4 square from 100 feet on the tower with 48 1/8th wavelength radials on
each element and a few full size radials as well. I pissed off a housing
developer who is building houses up to the city line and half surrounding me,
but I am in the County.  He offered me $1k to put an irrigation turnaround right
where one of my 4 square elements hits the ground, also near a guy anchor, not
to mention the fewer number of radials on that side! He offered to place a large
rock in front of MY guy anchor, to protect it. If I had just one dollar an hour
for the work I have put into 160 meters to get to this point I would have 10
times that amount of money...that is just for 160 meters, excluding the 125 foot
40 meter tower itself.  Sure, I enjoyed the work but $1k to give up my wire 4
square is crazy (he doesnt see a 4 square, just one green wire in HIS way). And
he thinks I am the crazy one!!

73, wj9b