[3830] OkQP W0BH Mobile AssistedMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] OkQP W0BH Mobile AssistedMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2020 15:02:07 +0000
                    Oklahoma QSO Party - 2020

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Mobile AssistedMixed LP
QTH: 17 OK counties
Operating Time (hrs): 8.2

  160:
   80:
   40:  423     98
   20:  300    189
   15:
   10:
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  723    287      0  Mults = 57  Total Score = 153,900

Club:

Comments:

Note: Totals include 11 CW and 5 SSB Qs made on 40m from Kansas on Sunday to be
included in the State QSO Party Challenge. Total score reflects my mobile run.

2020 Oklahoma QSO Party by Bob Harder, W0BH

In a most unusual year when almost all sporting events are cancelled, radiosport
is one thing we can still do! Lorna and I decided on a one-day run because I
have lots to get ready for as we transition to online classes at Hesston
College. I originally posted a two-day run, but QRZ.com was down when I tried to
update the post, so sorry if you expected to find us on Sunday.

We got a late start but avoided most of the rain in the process. The goal was to
cover 19 counties in northern and northeastern Oklahoma. Once we got on the air,
it was amazing! You can see the stats below and how they compare to previous
years. This year was really special, with generally good band conditions and
lower noise levels. I only worked 20 and 40 and often carried pileups from one
county to the next. I always enjoy working county lines, but with the rain, my
usual 3 and 4 county-line stops were too muddy, so we stayed on pavement.

Murphy always rides along, but this time he made himself known. 40m CW SWR and
reception alternated between really good and really poor. It wasn't the antenna
switch or the coax because the other two resonators on the triple worked great.
I figured the resonator had gotten wet which occasionally shorted out the coil,
so I swapped it out for my spare. That worked for about 15 minutes, then the
same problem came back. I had installed a full multi-multi setup for last year's
Texas QSO Party, so I had a third high-power 40m resonator along. That one did
the trick and suddenly I could hear again and you could hear me!

VE4QZ called me with a good signal looking for Woods county. I had a stop
planned on the line, but when I got there, signals on both 40 and 20 were really
down. I even sent him a message on the spotting network and got no response, so
I finally had to leave.  I only worked CW at that line because of the poor
signals.  After I left the line, signals really came up.  When I went to 20 SSB,
there he was, waiting. I felt really bad for not even trying SSB in Woods, so we
took a detour back to Woods county at a different line and made the contact plus
a bunch more Qs.

With the antenna delays and short lunch and supper breaks, we were running out
of time heading towards Nowata county. Luckily others had already been through
the last few counties on our schedule and more were scheduled on Sunday. It
appeared we'd have about 45 seconds in Nowata before 0100Z, so I took a list on
SSB and all five on the list got in the log as we crossed the line! That's
cutting it close.

It turned out we wouldn't have been able to complete our route because the road
was closed before what would have been our next county. It was also dark, and it
was fortunate Lorna was really holding on to the steering wheel as we went
through deep water over right side of the road. The detour (flooded bridge
perhaps) would have been long and dirt roads were a bad option, so we headed
north to southern Kansas, and arrived home safely about midnight.

Stats

Operated 8.2 hours, 1004 Qs, 290 unique calls, 10 dupes, 385 OKQP miles (727
total miles).

States not worked : AK HI RI UT
Canadian mults worked : AB BC MB ON SK
OK worked : 1 county : OKM
DX worked : 6 countries : DL EA GI HA I OM

Six-hour W0BH Rates (includes dupes) and doesn't include off time

Block QSOs/hr --- 2020 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011
1400-1959   501 =  111--76---79---95---104---51--119---66----- (Sat)
2000-0100   503 =  126--72---99---87---108--126---97--104---78 (Sat)
Sunday        0 =    0--71---91---98----97--101---71---82---79 (Sun)

County Breakdown (in visited order)

01 KAY 46 Kay
02 NOB 44 Noble
03 GAR 26 Garfield
04 GNT 50 Grant
05 ALF 93 Alfalfa
06 WOO 51 Woods
07 MAJ 46 Major
08 BLA 101 Blaine
09 KIN 116 Kingfisher
10 LOG 57 Logan
11 PAY 61 Payne
12 PAW 58 Pawnee
13 TUL 53 Tulsa
14 ROG 65 Rogers
15 MAY 50 Mayes
16 CRA 72 Craig
17 NOW 5 Nowata

Special thanks to my top scorers:

31: K1RO N8II
26: N6MU
25: OM2VL
24: K3WJV
18: N5DO W0ZQ
17: WN4AFP
15: KQ3F
14: DL3DXX K5GA KV8Q NS2N W0PI
12: AC5O N8NA
11 KM4FO W6OAT
10: N0HJZ N4RKK N9NM NT6X NU0Q WB8WKQ

OK Mobiles Worked
none

Bonus Counties
none

W0BH Award Winners
----------------- First Place ----- Very Honorable Mention -------------
Most overall Qs - K1RO/N8II/30 ---- N6MU/26 ------------- K3WJV/OM2VL/24
Most CW Qs ------ K1RO/20 --------- N8II/18 ------------- K3WJV/17
Most PH Qs ------ N8II/12 --------- N6MU/K1RO/10 -------- WA1SAY/9
Most counties --- OM2VL/N8II/N5DO/16 - N6MU/K1RO/15 - W0ZQ/KQ3F/K5GA/14

Afterwards

Thanks to Connie/K5CM (and Pam/N5KW) for getting us all organized and keeping in
touch as routes and county coverage changed. This was one of the
"busiest" OKQPs I can remember, and it really felt good to think about
something else for a bit in these trying times. Thank you all for that as well,
and for the kind words as we traveled along.

The 2020 Kansas QSO Party is scheduled for August 29-30, the fifth weekend in
August. With 105 counties, we need all the help we can get, so mobiles, head
this way!  Everyone else, thanks for the Qs in Oklahoma, and see you down the
log in 2020 ...

73, Bob/w0bh and Lorna/k0why