[3830] WiQP K0PC SO Mobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0pc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WiQP K0PC SO Mobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 16:50:11 +0000
                    Wisconsin QSO Party - 2020

Call: K0PC
Operator(s): K0PC
Station: K0PC

Class: SO Mobile LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 7

  160:
   80:    235
   40:    384
   20:     93
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
------------------------
Total:    712       0  Mults = 56  Total Score = 128,116.0

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

First off, thanks to the West Allis Radio Club for sponsoring the WI QSO Party.

This run turned out much better than the MN QSO Party in Feb when I had
equipment problems that were totally operator error. I still had some issues in
Wisconsin but I was able to work around them. It's always something.

Rates were good all day and especially the last hour mainly on 80M when it hit
141 QSOs. I operated 40M & 20M early from each county until 21Z when I
replaced 20M with 80M.

I ran a KX3 with KXPA100 amp and it worked well until I got to 80M. The amp was
causing a thermal fault after 10 minutes or so at 100W. I had to disable the amp
until it cooled down enough and ran 15W at those times. Then I started running
50W on 80M and 100W on 40M and that worked for a while but the last hour the amp
overheated even at 50W. On Monday I did a lot of testing on the antenna to make
sure it was OK and everything looks good (SWR about 1.3:1). It has a sharp
resonant point but that is expected on a 80M mobile antenna. I need to do some
more testing to figure it out but I have ordered a fan for the amp.

Many stations followed along all day and the top ten list contains many of the
usual suspects.
20 - K1RO
16 - OM2VL
15 - AF8A
13 - N2CU
12 - WØBV
11 - K9OM
10 - WØBH
 9 - DL3DXX, KØAP, NS2N, W6OAT

Thanks to everybody that tolerated my mobile fist all day.

73, Pat KØPC