[3830] Rus DX AA4LS(@W1/EASTPORT) SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4ls@hoppe.me
Subject: [3830] Rus DX AA4LS(@W1/EASTPORT) SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2020 18:39:54 +0000
                    Russian DX Contest - 2020

Call: AA4LS
Operator(s): AA4LS
Station: W1/EASTPORT

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: ME
Operating Time (hrs): 20
Radios: SO2R
Remote Operation

  160:    48             24         5
   80:   331             52        23
   40:   452             62        25
   20:   799             80        52
   15:    10             70
   10:
Total:  1640    0       225       105  Total Score = 2,800,710

Club: Arizona Outlaws Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks so much to the guys at Remote Ham Radio for granting me access to the
EPIC W1/Eastport station in the northeasternmost part of Maine. Thanks to Ray,
W2RE, for driving up to Eastport to make sure everything was in perfect
condition for the contest. Thanks to Lee, WW2DX, for technical support and for
helping me get started with RHR. And thanks to Rock, WW1X, for providing
assistance with the rather complicated SO2R setup.

The guys at RHR are FANTASTIC, and I am honored to have been given the
opportunity to operate from such a great QTH!

Thanks also to my mentors: Chas K3WW, Nate N4YDU, Bud AA3B, and Craig K9CT and
many others for helping me in this wonderful hobby.

-       160m: Conditions seemed pretty rough on 160m… not sure what was going on
there. Only worked a few stations there and only 5 oblasts.
-       80m: The band was solid. Lots of EU callers and some great runs.
-       40m: Fantastic. I was on 40m at 3pm local time running high rate… I was
hearing EU as early as 1pm local!
-       20m: Terrific as always! Had some really great rates there on Saturday.
Seemed
slow to open Sunday morning.
-       15m: The numbers tell the whole story.
-       10m: Not even worth mentioning.

Getting called by SU9TH on 20m and 80m was really cool. ATNO for me!

I didn’t have SO2R for most of the contest. The CPU was maxing out when trying
to do that. Around 01z I contacted Rock, WW1X, to see if there was any way I
could reduce the CPU usage. There was, and I felt like an idiot for not asking
13 hours before that! By that point I was too far behind the other competitors
to catch up. SO2R worked perfectly for the rest of the contest.

I took 3 hours of time off to sleep. The other hour, I believe consisted of two
30-minute periods with no QSOs…
Again, thanks a million to the guys at RHR for letting me use this incredible
station. Also, thanks again to my elmers for helping me throughout the way.

I am 13 years old and have been contesting for a year and a half and as such I
am thrilled to be able to use W1/Eastport!

I hope to work a few of you in WPX SSB, where I will be operating with several
other youth operators, as well as the RHR guys at the W1/Jonesport superstation
in Maine. We will be in the M/M category.

73,
Charles Hoppe – AA4LS