[3830] WPX SSB N5DX(@K5GO/N5DX) SOSB40 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N5DX(@K5GO/N5DX) SOSB40 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2020 21:51:27 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2020

Call: N5DX
Operator(s): N5DX
Station: K5GO/N5DX

Class: SOSB40 HP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs): 36
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40: 2523
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------

Club:

Comments:

Congratulations to WQ5OO (N8OO) on an incredible single band 40 score from
Louisiana.  3100 contacts and nearly 8 million points is just out of this world!
 CQ magazine needs to do a feature on his effort.  To put the score in
perspective, he nearly beat the top single operator all band score from the W5
area.

I woke up the Tuesday before the contest and thought that single band 40 from
Arkansas might be interesting.  The K5GO station has been dismantled with the
exception of our big 5 element 40 meter beam.  It took a little work to get her
going again but it appears she is still working quite well.  It's been about 5
years since I've operated from Arkansas and honestly didn't really know what to
expect.

Some Thoughts:

Europe was weak!  But that perception is based on operating from the east coast
for the past 5 years.  I ended up with about 250 EU contacts.  The best rates
into EU occurred the last hour of the contest.

JA is loud!  See the previous point only in reverse.  Around 225 JA contacts.

YB activity was phenomenal.  What's the story with the explosion of contest
activity from there?  Many of the stations had great signals and runs of YB
stations occurred both mornings immediately after sunrise.  If we could get a
few more countries to explode like this in terms of contest activity then it
would make competitive contesting from the United States slightly more
interesting.

I had a great time and it was nice to have an escape from the Rona for a few
days.  It's hard to think about her when you are dangling off a tower trying to
fix a prop pitch or hacking through QRM to pull out a weak EU caller.  Also,
thanks to my dad for coming over to the station for a day and helping to get
everything operational.

If anyone is interested in purchasing a slightly used 5 element 40 meter beam on
a 90' 45 G boom, please contact Stan, K5GO.  The beam works as it should and
he'll probably sell it for a song.

Thanks for the Qs and 73,

Kevin, N5DX