[3830] VaQP W4GO/M SOAB/PhMobile HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] VaQP W4GO/M SOAB/PhMobile HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2020 12:07:19 +0000
                    Virginia QSO Party - 2020

Call: W4GO/M
Operator(s): W4GO
Station: W4GO/M

Class: SOAB/PhMobile HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 23:49

  160:
   80:         1650
   40:          482
   20:            7
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:   0     2139     0  Mults = 121  Total Score = 297,639

Club: Fauquier Amateur Radio Association

Comments:

This was my third consecutive mobile run, and my eight consecutive year in this
contest. This year produced a new personal best score, and likely a new record
score in the mobile category. However, I can't really take credit for that
success. I just drive around a bit, call CQ and let you guys come to me.

Total QSOs, overall QSO rate and claimed score are up considerably this year
over last, despite no major changes to my equipment or operating practices. In
fact, there were fewer counties on my route, and, unlike last year, I spent
considerable time in the Extra/Advanced-only portion of 80 m; both those factors
on their own would have reduced my QSO count over last year.

See stats below, with last year's data given for reference. Propagation was
about the same; maybe a little poorer than last year.

No doubt the sharp increase in activity this year was the combined effect of the
coronavirus lock-down and the inaugural edition of the State QSO Party
Challenge.

It also appears that the contest organizers' efforts to recruit participants in
rare Virginia counties and independent cities (C&ICs) bore fruit. I worked
quite a few more C&ICs this year than the previous two years, many of which
were QSOs with fixed stations in "rare ones" that are usually only
activated by mobiles and portables, if at all. The Sterling Park Amateur Radio
Club continues to do a first-rate job of administering this contest.

I activated the following C&ICs, listed in chronological order, with bands
as indicated:

AMH#, RBR#*, BVX#, LEX#, BOT*, ROA#*, ROX#*, SAX#*, FLO#*, PAT*, CRL#*,
GAX#&, GRA#&, WAS#, BRX#, SCO#, LEE#, WIS#, NRX#, DIC#*, BCH#*, RUS#,
TAZ#, SMY#, BLA#*, WYT*, PUL#*, MON#*, RAX#*, GIL#, CRA#, [WV#,] ALL#, CVX#,
BAT#, HIG#

# = 80 m; * = 40 m; & = 20 m

As always, the regular chasers make this operation work by finding and spotting
me quickly after a band or county change. Out of 540 stations worked this year,
there were 16 stations who worked me 20 or more times; 59 stations that worked
me 10 or more times. The top five were K3WJV (43 Qs), W3LL (33), W8BT (31), N4RP
(30) and K4JTN (28). Out-of-state, Mid-Atlantic QTHs have the advantage here
over Virginia stations, since we can work on both 40 and 80 m throughout the
day; 40 m is too long for in-state work during solar minimum.

To the few but vocal commenters lamenting the lack of Virginians on the higher
bands looking for West Coast, Plains and DX: I was there. Where were you? Or
maybe I should ask where was the propagation? I can run 14 Qs per hour on 20 m
during the day, or I can run 90 Qs per hour on 40 m and 80 m all day and night.

Thanks for the QSOs.

===================================

Non-dupe QSOs: 2139 (1551 QSOs in 2019)

VA C&ICs activated: 35 (41 in 2019)

Operating time: 23:49 (22:27 in 2019)

Average rate: 90 QSOs/hr (69 QSOs/hr in 2019)

Callsigns worked: 540 (413 in 2019)

Callsigns who gave serial # 1: 106; 20% of callsigns worked (56; 14% in 2019)

VA C&ICs worked: 82 (72 in 2019)

States and provinces worked, not counting VA: 39 (41 in 2019)

DX entities worked, not counting US & Canada: 0 (0 in 2019)

Most QSOs made in a county/city: 112 in FLO (76 in MVX in 2019)

Claimed score: 297639** (215570 in 2019)

** Per contest rules, this excludes the 18 QSOs made while briefly in WV