[3830] FlQP K4HQK SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4HQK SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 22:48:39 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2020

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 10:30

   40:   91     0
   20:   46     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:  137     0  CW Mults = 39  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 10,686

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Was activity down this year? I worked every station I could hear but after 10+
hours, came up with only 137 QSOs and 39 counties. Representation did not seem
to be in line with county population, either. While Brevard and Sarasota
counties each had 10 stations, Lake had 6, Hillsborough (Tampa) 5, Dade (Miami)
2, Orange (Orlando) 2, and Duval (Jacksonville) only 1--in my log, at least.

Propagation was a wild ride that couldn't be ignored. Saturday afternoon Florida
stations on 40m were weak here in Northern Virginia; making myself heard (600w)
was difficult, but that night signals came up and QSOs became easy.

Sunday morning when the contest opened the 40m band was very long; Florida ops
were working stations all the way to California and British Columbia. The 20m
band became fairly useful mid-morning Sunday, albeit with slow and deep QSB.
Then signals became stronger and steadier until late afternoon when the band
went long and much of the activity shifted back to 40m.

As a former Florida resident this contest is one of my favorites. It was too bad
(understandably) that we couldn't enjoy those wild 'n' crazy mobiles racing from
county to county. Let's hope they'll be back next year.

73,

John K4HQK
Alexandria, Va.