[3830] WPX CW KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n4tz@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KS9K(N4TZ) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2020 19:23:52 +0000

------------

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

OPERATING TIME: 28:32:15
            CQ COUNTER: 2583
            RUN/SEARCH: 862/714 Qs
      UNIQUE CALLSIGNS: 1167

              SOFTWARE: TR4W v.4.77.0 http://www.tr4w.net

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points  Prefixes
 160CW         1            1        1         0
  80CW       182          181      293        77
  40CW       460          460     1737       269
  20CW       659          654     1347       242
  15CW       164          164      267        50
  10CW       110          110      156        29

 Totals      1576         1570     3801       667

    Final Score = 2535267 points.

I will admit it - I quit during the contest.  But, I came back.

Thinks were looking bad before the contest. I had totally
torn down all the wiring between the shack and the tower
base, to try to repair the mouse damage found during the
CQWW CW weekend. So, every decent weather  day during May
I was either mowing grass (it takes me about 12 hours total
to cut and trim) or trying to figure out 20 year old wiring
with fragmentary documenation. I even ordered a new 2x10
antenna box to replace my old homebrew 6pack, and constructed
a new weatherhead at the tower base.

Monday before the contest I realised that I was in over my
head. I couldn't get my lower 20/40 to turn and it was pointed
SW. The new antenna relay box would not switch, despite being
100 percent tested inside the shack. I eventually found that
the ABCD control, although high= one, required a pull down to
ground for zero to be read. So, I spent another day rewiring
my homebrew control box. Wednesday I put the relay box back
on the tower, but still no joy. Thursday I tried to recreate
the Rube Goldberg switching I had used since the CQWW so I
could at least have one antenna for each band. Then, I put
up a very low (25 feet high) 40 meter inverted vee so I could
work non-Europeans on 40. No rotators used during this contest.

Friday my wife was having issues. Thinks like vomitting, alternate
fever and chills, cramps, and BM problems. She said to go ahead
and contest, but you married guys know that is a loaded request.
Kept checking her all Friday night. Saturday morning while eating
breakfast I saw on the tv about the so-called social unrest
breaking out in the big and not-so-big cities around the  country.
I also got an email announcing that a gift for my daughter in NYC
was arriving early and to be alert for it (she does not have
a doorman, so you need to get packages when they are dropped off
or they may not be there later.)  I alerted her to be aware and
gave her the ETA.  During the day the combination of UPS and USPS
changed the ETA three times, the last one saying 9pm. I guess
social unrest kept it from being delivered. Sunday morning I
got another message saying it was rescheduled for Sunday so
we could go through this all over again.

Sunday morning my wife was still the same and the radio
conditions on 20 were still USA only. So at 1200z I tuned to
15 and found a few DX stations. Checked on the wife again.
At 1300z looked at 10, found it was open to Europe but distressingly
few stations to be worked. Got disgusted and started to mow the
lawn.  After lunch found that  10 and 15 were mostly USA so
took a nap. Got up at 2030z and finally found some dx to work on
20 meters, where I ended the contest.  My daughter got her gift
Sunday afternoon and my wife was finally eating.

Monday, the sun was shining, my wife was her old self, and I
finished mowing the grass in advance of the heat wave. Still
need to fix all the wiring problems, but I have a few more
months to go....

                               2020 CQ-WPX-CW KS9K
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1   152   193   290   103    81   820
   Canada calls =     0    19    25    33     9     9    95
       NA calls =     0     0     4     6    10     3    23
       SA calls =     0     0     0     2     7     0     9
     Euro calls =     0    10   228   308    34    16   596
  African calls =     0     0     2     1     0     0     3
    Asian calls =     0     0     3    12     0     0    15
    Japan calls =     0     0     0     1     0     0     1
    Ocean calls =     0     1     5     5     1     1    13

  Unknown calls =     0     0     0     1     0     0     1

    Total calls =     1   182   460   659   164   110  1576

Unknowns on  20 = MM/RA0LQ

AH2O incorrectly shown as Oceania on 80, 40, 20 and 10....