[3830] ARRL June VHF N4CW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF N4CW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:17:31 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  125    51  Total Score = 6,375

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Magic? Let me tell you about magic: it's putting up a last-minute antenna and
expecting it to work. Plus, what if that antenna was just the driven element
from a beam that had a tree fall on it while it was on the ground for
maintenance. And what if it was mounted on a scrap piece of 1-1/2" PVC pipe
stuck through the rungs of a Rohn-25 and lashed in place with tie-wraps, 7 (yes
SEVEN) feet off the ground? First contact was N4YDU, 12 miles away...well, the
antenna worked. Next contact was WA1Z, up in New Hampshire, well, why
not...followed up by VA3SY...not bad! Then, G4FJK, a solid S-7 on the
K3...WOW!!!...and a few minutes later, G7RAU.
Surely, there had to be some divine intervention to make all this possible! Lots
of surprises, including taking a short break to find the band empty on my
return!
A while later there was activity again, not much on CW, early in the twilight,
so I went on SSB and found some new stations to work, mostly in the Northeast.
It was so busy that I decided to call CQ and began running 'em. Wow, three a
minute...that's cookin' for me on voice. And after dark it lasted a while and
suddenly stopped. So much for Saturday.
Sunday, I checked the band a few times in the early morning but no joy.
"Went to church" on TV, and returned before noon with some activity,
but not a very productive band, so I went and did some work in the yard,
returning mid-afternoon. Again, noting special, except the band was open to them
NNW stations and some in the midwest, both phone and cw. And at twilight I did
work VE5MX, who would peak around S-7. Later I tried to work a VE4 who was in
and out, but he just couldn't hear me through the stronger callers. Same with
WD0T who was real loud on SSB...I tried for 15 minutes and gave up. He was
running 'em at a good clip, so undoubtedly I didn't have a commanding signal.
Surprised?...naw! But my hopes were up....
Needless to say, I had a great time. I did work lots of friends and made some
new ones.
Moral: don't underestimate your station...get on and see if you can work what
you hear! 73, and thanks for the fun, Bert N4CW