[3830] ARRL June VHF W9RM(@W9EM) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF W9RM(@W9EM) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:42:06 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: W9RM
Operator(s): W9RM
Station: W9EM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: DM58
Operating Time (hrs): 17
Radios: SO2R

    6:  554   196
    2:   27    22
  222:    1     1
  432:    1     1
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  583   220  Total Score = 128,700

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

I didn't intend to be too serious in this contest, figuring the majority of 6M
activity would be on digital, a mode that I don't really care to CONTEST on.  I
told people I would be active as long as there was rate to be run on SSB or CW.
Well, during the few opening we had out here in the inter-mountain west, it
appeared there were plenty of stations available on SSB.  I had one almost 200
hour and a couple 100+ hours.  I used the FT modes to pick off mults and never
bothered CQing in that madhouse.

The few 6M openings that WERE available all ended up in the same places -
western Great Lakes and Gulf coast, with some spotty double hop to New England
and the Atlantic seaboard during the last 2 hours of the contest when decent
prop FINALLY extended out west.

High winds (wind blew 40-50 MPH ALL weekend, even at night) ripped the coax
support off the 222/432 tower and dropped the feedline bundle to the ground, so
I was in CQWW VHF mode (6 & 2 only) from Saturday afternoon, on.  That
probably cost me at least 10-15 mults.  It also made it hard to rotate the 6
& 2 array at times !  It takes a lot of wind to stall out a G-1000 rotor
with "only" 6 & 2 antennas.

I had setup 1296 to try a Q with K7ULS in DN41.  We tested Friday evening in the
still air and were able to decode each others FT8 signals over a 225 mile path,
even with my small portable system and the local radar interference.  Come
contest time, the wind was so bad and the atmosphere was so riled up that it was
a no-go.

W9RM  DM58 CO
Equipment

6: 7el@45', 7el@70', 5el fixed NW@25' - KW