[3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, geoiii@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K5TR Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 13:30:41 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2020

Call: K5TR
Operator(s): K5TR
Station: K5TR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM00uf
Operating Time (hrs):
Radios: SO2R

    6:  585   179
    2:  106    30
  222:   42    12
  432:   65    12
  903:   13     8
  1.2:   13     7
  2.3:    5     4
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:    3     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  832   253  Total Score = 247,940

Club: Roadrunners Microwave Group

Comments:

I did not make many changes to the station since last year. I did get
somewhat of a station going on 2304 this year and I made a few
contacts on that band for the first time.  I was not able to get the
amp going on 2304 so that limited my range a bit and I am unsure how
little power was coming out of the transverter.  Something to work on
before the next contest.

I have been doing the ARRL June VHF contest almost every year since
sometime in the late 1980's. I first came to do 6 meters as I really
enjoy the great Es openings that often come during this contest.  Last
year was one of the worst years for Texas - I only worked 240 contacts
on 6m in the 2019 contest. This year was a bit better.  The contest
started with the band open into the EN grids to the north and signals
on 6m were OK.  There was also a group of four rovers here in Texas
starting to my south at a grid corner.

KD5IKG/R, KA5D/R, W5TN/R and K2EZ/R

I ran on 6 meters and picked off stations on the high bands on the
second radio.  The 6 meter opening only lasted for about the first
hour of the contest and then 6m closed up a bit and I was working
rovers and locals around Texas on the bands.

At 20Z I made my first pass at 6m digital working Texas stations that
were on that mode - then it was back to 6m SSB for more CQing and the
random contact here and there on a mostly 6m band.  Through the
afternoon and evening the rovers were working their way north and I was
running them though the bands as they got to new grids.  It was great
to have them on as I was not working much on 6 meters during this
time.

By 04Z the rovers that live in Austin had stopped at their homes for a
good nights rest and I was left with K2EZ/R who was headed north.  I
started working some stations on 2m MS while keeping tabs on K2EZ's
location.  MSK on 2m and 6m was giving me some distant grids and
contacts.  I was on the radio until about 08Z. K2EZ/R was about an
hour from the next grid and the MS contacts had slowed and I was
tired. My last contact was a quick one with K9CT on 2m MS for a new
grid at 0744z.  I went to sleep for a few hours as was back up a
little after 11Z and made my first contacts on 6m MSK at 11:23z.

By about 14Z 6 meters was showing some signs of life to the east and I
started getting answers on SSB into some EM and FM grids.  In the 15
and 16 hours I started working some FN grids in New England.  By 17Z 6
meters had gotten spotty and poor with some contacts here and there
but mostly a lot of CQing. It kept feeling like it would bust open but
just never really did. It was not until 00Z that the band would
finally open well for the fist time all weeeknd with the rate finally
getting into the 100+/hr range at times. The band was open to Japan
and China and other places - K5LLL worked China on FT8. I went up
there briefly and worked one or two USA stations as well as getting a
report out of BV6CC but not working him. I did not stay long as the
rates on SSB were much better so I was back down on SSB again until
the end of the contest where I was getting good answers right up until
the end.

I big thanks to all the stations I worked and the rovers.  It was
great having K2EZ/R on late into the night and on the high bands - she
knows the code and was easy to work on 1.2 and 2.3 even with my poor
high band station.

And a big thanks to a all the other local Texas rovers for all the
contacts from all those grids.  Always great to have all that activity.

KE5VIN/R
N5YC/R
W5TN/R
KA5D/R
KD5IKG/R
WA5AZQ/R
KJ5T - portable

Hope to see you all next time.

The station:
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr/blanco/k5tr_station.html

50Mhz - Elecraft K3 - 2x 3-500z (1200 watts)
        7 element yagi at 75'
        7 element yagi at 30'
        7 element yagi at 25' fixed Northeast
        7 element yagi at 30' fixed Northwest

144Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV144 - W6PO 8877 (1000 watts)
         17B2 17 element yagi at 35'
         Ringo 5/8 wave for FM contacts

222Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV222 - Larcan amp (1000 watts)
         Cushcraft 15 ele yagi at 30'

432Mhz - Elecraft K3 - Elecraft XV432 - W6PQL amp (1000 watts)
         2 high stack M2 432-9WL 28 element yagis at about 40'
         DB-420 dipole array for FM

902Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter -  50 watt amp
       - 16 element loop yagi at 30'

1296Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 30 watt amp
          24 element loop yagi at 30'

2304Mhz - Elecraft K3 - DEMI transverter - 2 watts or less
          27 element loop yagi at 30'

10GHZ   - Elecraft K3 -> 144 mhz UT5JCW transverter -> DEMI transverter -
3 watts
          2 ft dish 30'

 ( 144, 222, 432, 902, 1296, 2304  and 10GHz  are all using the same K3)

    6CW       29          26         26       8
    6DIG      64          63         63      24
    6SSB     506         496        496     147
    2CW        2           2          2       1
    2DIG      18          18         18      13
    2SSB      93          86         86      16
  222CW        1           1          2       0
  222SSB      43          41         82      12
  432CW        1           1          2       0
  432SSB      66          64        128      12
  902CW        6           6         18       5
  902SSB       7           7         18       3
  1GHCW        7           7         21       6
  1GHSSB       6           6         18       1
  2GHCW        4           4          0       3
  2GHSSB       1           1          0       1
  10GCW        3           3          0       1

 Totals      857         832        980     253

    Final Score = 247940 points.

HR     HR TOT CUM TOTAL  SCORE
--    ------ ---------  -----
18     71/43    71/43   0.00M