[3830] ARRL June VHF K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tree@kkn.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K7RAT(N6TR) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 15:49:02 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  79     14  Total Score = 1,106

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Only real opening lasted about 3 minutes in the last half hour of the contest
and netted QSOs with ND9G, AA5B and NI5I.   Very poor conditions this year.

This is the first VHF contest I have operated since FT4/FT8 have come out.  The
difference in the activity patterns is very significant.  I am one of those who
feel the magic of radio happens between the headphones and am not interested in
making QSOs using FT4/FT8 in contests.  So glad to have that one opening to
tickle my ears with signals actually coming back to me.

One of the other aspects that I feel we lose with the shift is the
"entertainment" that trying to eeek out all of the non-contesters on
SSB.  This seemed to be a lost art - at least from my perspective.

I think it would be great to have a classic category - using just CW and SSB and
perhaps FM - so that those that feel the same as me have a sandbox to play in.

6M - K3S + KPA1500 to slightly broken Steppir MonstIR at 97 feet
2M - K3S + 150W brick to 7 / 7 cross polarized beam at 51 feet