[3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] TBDC K1LT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2020 14:43:15 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 5
Radios: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 156  Total Score = 486

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Spent Saturday afternoon verifying that all of the short verticals
still work.  Evicted the ants from the matching boxes of several
verticals and replaced RG6 where animals have been chewing.  There
seemed to be much more damage this year than in the past.

My SAMLEC power supply is powering a work related project so I had to
energize the K3S with an Astron power supply.  Thus the K3S would
produce only about 60 watts.  So I ran the Alpha with 12 watts of
drive to get just 100 watts of output.  Maybe work should buy its own
SAMLEC supply.

I didn't bother tuning up the "transmit nulling" vertical array.  At
100 watts I can listen on one of the Beverages while transmitting and
still get to with about 4 kHz of my transmit signal without issue.

I did all of my running while on 1832.0 kHz.  That permits me to count
the QSOs made running versus searching.  126 of 156 QSOs resulted from
answers to CQs and the other 30 were pounces.

When one station called me the 4th time, I tried to tell him "dupe"
but he didn't seem to be interpreting what I transmitted.  When he
gave me his unsolicited exchange, I said "TU" and logged him again.
So all my dupes were the same station.

Best DX was K7RAT.  Heard no trace of any DX out K/VE.  The QRN was
loudest from the south and southwest.

Took a nap after 0442Z which was probably too early and too long.  Got
up at 0800Z or so but saw no signals and got no answers to a few
minutes of CQs.  Got up again at 0930Z or so and worked a few more
stations at sunrise.  I stopped just after sunrise although activity
seemed to be increasing.

Equipment: K3S/100 (ha!), P3, 8410 at 100 watts, K3/100, homebrew SO2R
stuff, 2 phased array / SDR receiving systems, 12 Beverages (only 1
used), 'tee' antenna 60 feet tall over 75 radials.