[3830] ARRL FD K2PO 1B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K2PO 1B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 03:05:04 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  918     2       0  Total Score = 3,926

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Well that was interesting.

The local club scratched its FD, so I hoisted a 40m/20m twinlead dipole up into
the trees (tnx K7RF), and did an emergency power operation from the barn.

I'd bought a 100w solar panel and battery this year and opened the new boxes for
this event.  Unfortunately, the Oregon sun didn't entirely cooperate.  So on
Saturday I ran 25-40w to keep the battery from depleting.  In the first seven
hours of the event 227 QSOs went into the ether, powered by Ole Sol’s bounty.
After the sun went low I switched to a little Honda generator.  There was even
less sun on Sunday, so I stayed with the generator.  (I learned my K3 draws
about 24-27 watts on receive.)

40m sure was the money band, including a run from 0354z – 0730z in which I
stayed at 7045 and worked 335 QSOs.  That was fun.  However, 20m disappointed.
The dipole was up 60+ feet, so I would have thought I could get a run going with
100w, but I never really did, and lots of my S&P calls weren’t even met
with a ‘?’.  I'll have to look into that.  I managed 80, 15 and 10m with a
tuner.  (How many recent contests have netted more 10m QSOs than 80m?)

I made 2 SSB QSOs - just to make sure I still knew how.

I slept 4 hours, which was a welcome break.

‘Hoping things are back to normal next year!

73,

Bill, K2PO