[3830] ARRL FD K2DRH 1E HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k2drh@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K2DRH 1E HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2020 03:43:21 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0     2569    14  Total Score = 2,597

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Started out just to add another club entry for the RiverBend Wireless Operators
Club so kept to 100W for the first couple hours.  We were prohibited from using
the Rock Island County EOC for FD as we have in the past.  Running 6M is my
first love but even though it was wide open the dummies were all crowded in on
FT8 with nobody doing FT4.

That's really boring so did 10M Es and 15M Es for a while and was pretty happy
with the SSB action but by the time it slowed down and I went to 20M I noticed
it was being dominated by Big signals from the home stations running power. I
sat on the lower band edge just above 144.150 on low power for 10 minutes
getting nowhere then got harassed by some self appointed frequency cops who kept
QRMing me without giving any callsigns (one gave a false callsign) saying I was
splattering more than 1KHz down below the phone band edge.  With my barefoot
Flex 6700 set up correctly there was no way this was true, but I just couldn't
get rid of the self righteous fools (I'd like to use another word) and despite
pointing out they were really the ones who were illegal I gave up only to have
someone else who really was wide take my place!  Hope he had fun!

So rather than get frustrated I decided to heck with it and just have myself
some fun running SSB pilups. Found another spot where I flipped on the KW and
had at it - oddly enough nobody complained of splatter!  It was a fun ride
running between 100 and 150 Qs an hour for the rest of FD which is about as much
as anyone can expect given the less experienced and the tendency of some to
disrupt the flow (and well over 100 dupes. threeps, fourps, etc). Seemed an
endless supply of 1D and 1E stations often with mushy or distorted audio and
mostly all at the same level making them hard to separate.  Several times asked
them to standby (about 90% successfully) so I could work the weaker A  B and C
stations brave enough to take to the field!!