[3830] ARRL FD N5ZY 3D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqN5ZY@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N5ZY 3D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2020 22:56:09 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0      96     422  Total Score = 2,330

Club: Edmond Amateur Radio Society (EARS)

Comments:

Total score above reflects the 450 bonus points I also submitted.
I was in my usual panic state trying to get prepared right up to the starting
time but unlike usual I was at home not at the fire station with 50 or more
people all trying to setup.  Instead I was enjoying the air conditioning and
trying to read my new radio manual and send out pertinent information to club
members via Mailchimp and deciding on my tactical plan.  I was still reading my
new owners manual in between periods of low activity.  The bands were jammed
full from 6M to 80M so I was really excited to hear so many voices and see so
much activity on the ICOM spectrum scope.  When I operated voice I usually had
to operate S&P as I could not find a place to elbow in to run.  I operated
WSJT-X in FT4 for the first time heavily which was faster and a lot more fun.
And it was another consecutive weekend with lots of Sp-E on 6 - it was amazing!
My goal was to operate CW this year but I simply did not get in the practice so
I went back to WSJT-X and voice.  I think the FD was the first voice contact on
my new radio (all other was WSJT and CW practice)!

One of the funny things was when I heard N4ZY calling CQ and I called him back
with N5ZY and we both had a laugh.  Also funny, I went to take a quick nap after
18 hours into the exercise and was later woken by my wife who was worried I was
losing valuable hours (in my sleep deprived stupor I didn’t set an alarm).  I
had evidently been asleep for 3 hours!

It was also nice to not be underneath a severe storm with lightning and in
flooding rain for the first time in at least 3 Field Days.  Just warm and
windy!

I must admit it’s fun to operate Field Day without suffering heat stroke,
sunburn and mental exhaustion from helping to set up so many radios I’ve never
seen before and computers, logging, etc.  Also it was really nice to be home
with my wife!