[3830] IARU KL7SB(@KL7RA) SOAB(A)Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sbloom@acsalaska.net
Subject: [3830] IARU KL7SB(@KL7RA) SOAB(A)Mixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2020 21:28:11 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: KL7SB
Operator(s): KL7SB
Station: KL7RA

Class: SOAB(A)Mixed HP
QTH: Nikiski, AK
Operating Time (hrs): 21
Radios: SO2R

  160:    11     2      6       0
   80:    72     5     13       4
   40:   415   128     24      12
   20:   722   165     42      43
   15:   356    18     26      19
   10:    75     2      8       4
-------------------------------------
Total:  1651   320    119      82  Total Score = 1,434,537

Club:

Comments:

I normally travel for this one, Alaska is not the place you want to contest from
during the Summer, but, not possible this year of course.  It was fun and
interesting, since I had no idea what to expect.  I believe I would have done a
lot better if I knew then what I know now :)

First.  Might as well just do this CW only from up here.  SSB was frustrating.
I could never get or keep a solid run going there.  I guess signals just are
more marginal overall than during winter, because CW had some amazing runs.
Just missed a 200 Q hour a couple of times.  To show you how of whack this is, I
was looking at my results from other QTHs in the past.  My ratio of SSB/Phone Qs
has always been around two CW for every SSB.    This was over 5-1 and I was
serious about my phone effort.

Second, got too caught up with shiny new propagation.  Most of my 10 and 15M Qs
were U.S. or JA, but, there was enough path to EU from 0900Z-1200Z that I paid a
lot of attention there to get mults (especially the HQ stations, who were often
the onlys ones I was hearing.)  It was time consuming though.  Even though I ran
Assisted, I wasn't seeing any spots on 15 or 10, and of course I spaced out on
our skimmer, so I had to random S&P them.  Bottom line, I let the coolness
of being able to work EU on 10 and 15 in the Middle of the Night distract from
maximum score.

If I do this one here again from the future, my strategy will be run the full
time on 20M CW.  There were no times whatsoever where I could call CQ there and
not get some answers. It *never* dropped below one per minute. Make that an iron
limit, do not try to run on another band, until rate on 20 just isn't possible.
Work mults on the other bands like crazy.  Paying full attention to 20 *would*
make it dry up some point, and we'd lose *some* Qs on the other bands, but much
less than we'd gain.  2BSIQ would have been huge for this (20/15 and 20/40).
N6MJ and KL9A, we gotta talk.

See y'all in WAE CW.

73
Steve, Armani, Rocky, and Cosmo.