[3830] IARU K2IW SOABCW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K2IW SOABCW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2020 02:31:52 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2020

Call: K2IW
Operator(s): K2IW
Station: K2IW

Class: SOABCW HP
QTH: FN32
Operating Time (hrs): 15

  160:
   80:   46            13      16
   40:  130            23      30
   20:   84            23      24
   15:   25            13       8
   10:   36            10      15
-------------------------------------

Club:

Comments:

Great short 24 hour contest. Setup for this contest was at my friends house,
590sg paired with the same fan dipoles as field day, with the ALS 600 amp. I was
ready to go at 8am at the beginning of the contest, but saw that 10m FT8 was
open deep into Eastern Europe and did that for a few hours before bothering to
check the CW passband. A silly move, the band was packed. Ive never worked so
much different Euro DX on 10m in one day before. After working all I could find
on 10m, I spent too running on 10m with few results. 15m wasn't as good as 10m
was, and 20m was fluttery with all the E's. Never really did get a good cw run
during the contest, probably due to waiting too long to try. Stayed throughout
the night into the morning multitasking between running, s&p'ing, and
occasionally hopping onto FT8. I heard plenty of JA/China/HongKong but only
managed to work the JAs. Was surprised to continue hearing the JA's up until the
contests end at 8am local time. Worked plenty of Asian and Oceanic DX that I've
only previously done on FT8/JT65. Overall a fun contest.

Takeaways from the contest:
1) While the massive 160m Inverted L isn't fully necessary to setup for summer
contests, Id have benefited greatly on 80m with a vertical of some sort. The
horizontal half wave 80m part of the fan dipole up 70 some feet just wasn't
picking up. While late in the summer season, I should attempt to construct an
80m vert before the next contest.

2) I need to not get distracted by other openings/certain dx entities I
want/other things during contesting. I should start the contest strong running
so to get a stronger qso number, then wander off for s&p'ing. Actually
including my sdr into my normal setup at friends house would help me check what
other bands are active.

3) While I've known this for a while, I desperately need some form of
directional receive for some of the more exotic mults. Not sure how I would
achieve this with wires beyond perhaps some beverages, but I should investigate
further.

Overall a fun contest. Future me should be able to blow my qso count out of the
water.