[3830] CQWW VHF N6GP Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, timgep@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW VHF N6GP Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 23:09:06 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest - 2020

Call: N6GP
Operator(s): N6GP
Station: N6GP

Class: Rover LP
QTH: LAX
Operating Time (hrs): 7.5

    6:  101    37
    2:   54    22
-------------------
Total:  155    59  Total Score = 12,331

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Started the contest off at Del Mar Heights for DM12, with its great shot over
the water to the L.A. area.  Managed to work Kansas and a VE3 on 6m, even though
I did not have a good shot to the Northeast.  For next time, I found a nearby
spot to move to should that happen again.
Went to Signal Peak Newport beach for DM13.  Seemed like the Alberta QSO Party
was happening on 6m.  I was grateful for all the different VE6 grids.
Got to Signal Hill for DM03 at about 5PM.  Not very productive there, with only
non-local grid was Levi K6JO/R in DM22.  Toward the end of my stay, a family
flagged down a police car.  Their Pekingese dog had been attacked by a coyote
while they are on a walk.  Thankfully, it was more scared than injured.
I OVERSLEPT Sunday morning!  Woke up at 7:30.  I had already missed 1 hour of an
opening to Washington State, and I hit the road without getting in on the
action.
Found a great location for DM04 in my old stomping grounds of Hastings Ranch,
Pasadena.  Denair street above Don Benito Fundamental school has great views
everywhere except north.  Worked all local grids except DM14.  Heard DM22 and
DM41 on 6M!
Got quick bite at McDonalds and headed to DM14.  Had intended to go to Keller
Peak but, I calculated I would have less than 1 hour operating time before the
end of the contest.  So, I pulled off the 210 freeway and headed toward the
foothills of Rancho Cucamonga.  Found a good spot on the west end of Deer Canyon
Dr near Haven.  DM04 a little blocked there, but made do.  There was a gap in
the mountians to the NE where I got my 6m signal out to Colorado and Wyoming for
a couple of mults.
My strategy to go to all 5 major So Calif grids was a good one to capture a lot
of multipliers (see rules for rovers).  Did not over-stay at any one grid.
Unfortunately, the huge number of 2m FM ops we saw in June VHF and Field Day did
not show up.  Hope we can get them back in Sept!  This time I could not afford
to ignore the local FT8 stations like I did in June VHF.  62 contacts on FT8
this time.  Wish people would switch to FT4 to speed it up for local QSOs.  3 CW
contacts this time!
Thanks for the Q's & 73,
Tim N6GP/R