[3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@windstream.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW W8FN Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2020 14:31:41 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - August

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: North Carolina
Operating Time (hrs): 10:00
Radios: SO2R

  160:
   80:  229    41
   40:  385    51
   20:  107    32
   15:   12     6
   10:
-------------------
Total:  733   130  Total Score = 95,290

Club:

Team:

Comments:

This was my first NAQP since moving to NC from TX. It's a somewhat different
contest from here, but the differences may be mostly due to my lack of a decent
antenna for 20 meters and higher.

The first two or three hours were pretty brutal. It took over 2.5 hours to break
the 200 QSO barrier. I couldn't get a run going on 20 so set out doing S&P
but simply couldn't get myself to be heard in the initial frenzy. Things got a
little better as more folks started to show up on 40. I was eventually able to
establish a decent run there and things started to look up a bit.

I broke for dinner after 4 hours and returned to find conditions considerably
better on 20, but mostly to the west coast. 40 took off real well then, and I
was able to get things rolling.

After a second short break I went to 80 with about 4 hours to go and discovered
that having a real antenna was a whole lot better than the non-radial equipped
short vertical up against the house I had been stuck with in W5 land. Rates on
80 were great, and I was able to do extended runs at 90-100 rates for the
remainder of the contest, with interspersed QSOs on 40 with the second radio.

I had set a tentative goal of 700 QSOs, but in the first few hours it looked
like I'd be lucky to hit 500. Once 40 and 80 got rolling for me I ended up
actually exceeding my goal,so I'm quite pleased with the final results. Can't
wait to run one of these thing with a real antenna for 20 through 10, maybe next
year.

I worked a whole lot of CWops guys; it seemed at times like an extended CWT
session. Thanks to all for the QSOs, and CU in the upcoming contests.

73...
Randy, W8FN