[3830] NCCC Sprint K8CN QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K8CN@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] NCCC Sprint K8CN QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2020 03:14:48 +0000
                    NCCC Sprint - Aug 14

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 0.5

  160:
   80:
   40:  10      7
   20:   5      5
   15:   1      1
   10:
-------------------
Total:  16     13  Total Score = 208

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Missed last week's NS because Tropical Storm Isaias was the final straw for a
fraying north halyard on my Lazy H - it parted that night, but I didn't realize
it until looking out the upstairs bathroom window the next morning only to see
the lower doublet of the H laying on the roof of the shed addition!  If my
signal was weaker than its customary whisper, that's because I'm down to a low
'V' for the upper doublet - the halyard is snagged in a branch out of reach, and
will have to pull the entire H down.  I decided to give NS a try tonight just to
see if anyone could hear me.

Heard a few on 15 at the start, managed only N3BB that band.  40 turned out
better than 20, which was a surprise, and couldn't even raise neighbor W1FJ on
80.

Worked a few hours in WAE DX CW last weekend from the FB QTH of Mark, K1RX - my
first introduction to SO2R.  It's gonna take a lot of practice when I get my
setup going here.  Operating with 1500 watts into a 5 el. Yagi at 80 feet on 20
and 15 meters is a different experience, but Mark sums it up like this:
"It's just like QRP, only people hear you!"

Hope to remedy the dismal antenna situation here at home, possibly with a 135
foot doublet in the front yard so I can pull down the Lazy H in the back yard
and still get on the air.  Teaching is looming on the near horizon and comin' up

Many thanks for the Qs, and 73, MikeNH