[3830] NAQP SSB K5OF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cpitts@ec.rr.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K5OF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 18:16:13 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K5OF
Operator(s): K5OF
Station: K5OF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 9:59

  160:    0     0
   80:  102    28
   40:  202    37
   20:  118    32
   15:  108    30
   10:  150    30
-------------------
Total:  680   157  Total Score = 106,760

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC North Carolina East Team #2

Comments:

Fun times! Synopsis…possibly too lengthy for some but I wanted to share.
Thanks for all of the fun time and qso’s!

This was my first ever NAQP and I had a blast! Never really gave any serious
consideration to this contest before however after reading and seeing results of
past events I decided to jump in. Since I enjoy FD quite a bit, I thought to
myself this is almost like a mini FD.

The format and hours were a prime consideration and it gave me an opportunity to
reconfigure and  recheck the three wire antennas I installed for this years FD,
a FLAG 80-20 dipole, OCF 80-20 dipole (10M capable) as well as 15M dipole and
have fun playing radio on a Saturday. A welcome break from the Covid -19 issues
I have been supporting at our local hospital.

All antennas played great with the primary OCF at 65-70 ft and 15M dipole only
up approx. 25 ft doing the majority of the work. FLAG needs a little more work
primarily tuning for 20M and adding strength to the supporting hardware. Will
try and relocate 15M dipole this fall winter. It is hung between two magnolia
trees presently.

Strategy going in was to concentrate on the money bands 80-20M while at the same
time I know I needed mults on all of the bands I could work especially 10 and
15M. I decided to not try any S&P and just RUN as this would most likely be
the most productive and assist with time management on each band with hopefully
results that were acceptable. I would do the first 10 hours of the contest
mainly due to most productive hours I believe would produce the best results and
weather conditions present and forecasted. No 160M antenna yet and I could
possibly find something to tune on 160 but decided to forfeit the results I may
gain from such an attempt. This may have had hurt a little on mults but I was
willing to sacrifice that for more fun Running! My goals were to have fun,
600-800 q’s, and breaking 100,000. Wanted more Q’s but knew going in the run
rate on 10M and hours put into play for both 10 and 15M would cut me short on
the money bands but you get was is given to you. Realizing that mults were
important and not ignore them to the detriment of Q’s.

Now for the results and observations: Saturday morning severe rain and lightning
present and threatening all day and night. Began listening on the bands at 1500Z
and 10M was open as far as TX. That made my decision easy to start on 10M and
get what I could at start time of 1800Z. Ran on 10M till approx. 1900Z with a
grueling slow rate but that produced 11 mults from 4, 5, 9, and 0 call areas.
15M from 1900z to 2000Z with a high of approx. 80 rate/hr. and 20 mults. Back to
10M hoping for some close in mults and that was productive with a run rate at
one point of 90 and providing an additional 11 mults. Back to 15M for a rate
that went to approx. 70/hr.  and an additional 10 mults
Then on to the money bands: 20M with a high of approx. 95/hr. 32 mults. Next 40M
130/hr. 37 mults, and finishing up 80M 120/hr. 28 mults. I sure did not want to
quit after approx. 10 hours as I was having so much fun and really wanted more
on 80/40M but it was time to go.

Just in time as rain and lightning came in 45 minutes after quit time so I would
have been QRT no matter the extra hours I wanted.

Thanks for the fun times, q’s, mults, PVRC shout outs, Reflections on W4MYA,
Working great friends KA4RRU, and some of my new found friends WM5H/Bobby and
Marsh/KA5M from the W5WZ MULTI station in LA, and the contest sponsors. 73! Ed
K5OF