[3830] NAQP SSB N4OX Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jayn4ox@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N4OX Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2020 22:12:05 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N4OX
Operator(s): N4OX
Station: N4OX

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: NFL
Operating Time (hrs): 10.0

  160:    5     5
   80:   64    25
   40:  155    34
   20:  355    56
   15:  130    24
   10:  283    26
-------------------
Total:  992   170  Total Score = 168,640

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Team:

Comments:

I decided to check 10 meters before the start to see how many 10 meter ragchew
groups were active that I might be able to cajoule into a Q and coveted
multiplier. The band was packed with signals and at 1800, I was off to the races
with a 226 hour. I knew long time friend, Charile "Bubba" Wooten,
NF4A, was going to be operating from his re-built station that was destroyed by
Hurricane Michael. Of course, as Charlie is the Master and I am the Grasshopper,
he had a 236 hour to start the contest, also on 10 meters. I'm sure Charlie has
had bigger hours as a member of a DXPedition, but since, I have never been DX, I
think my first hour is one of my best of all time. As several others have
written in their comments, the propagation on the high bands (also, in extreme
Northwest Florida, 40 and 75 meters was also predominately N/S) was
predominately North/South. I didn't work a Texas or California station until
almost 2300Z. I think the only New Mexico station I worked on 20 meters was
Bruce, AA5B. Conditions on 15 meters were not nearly as great as 10 meters and
although 20 meters again was my best band for Qs, conditions were definitely
off, due to decreased E/W propagation. I probably lost 75 plus Qs as I didn't
get my small receive loop hooked back up in time to use it. As usual, the low
bands were noisy, with 75 meters and 160 meters both requiring an S9 plus signal
for me to work anyone. Congratulations to the top ten finishers and all the
other guys like me that finish below them. 73, Jay N4OX