[3830] NAQP SSB N8II Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB N8II Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2020 21:03:22 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 9

  160:   75    25
   80:  194    33
   40:  235    39
   20:  432    51
   15:  184    39
   10:  154    26
-------------------
Total: 1274   213  Total Score = 271,362

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team: PVRC Northwest Team #4

Comments:

I had not intention of a serious effort going into the NAQP. My line noise was
high an hour prior and conditions seemed pretty much normal lousy then. I could
kick myself in the butt. For once, condx actually favored us in the Mid Atlantic
hole.
There was sporadic E from the opening gun until past 03Z and at times in many
directions at once. My noise disappeared. The first 75 minutes was a love fest
with the high bands with no regard to score. Signals from FL around to TX were
loud on 10 and 15 was open much farther north as well, but no opening to speak
of to the left coast. Activity was not great on 15 at 19Z, but by my return at
2035Z, the multitude had discovered that 15 was open. KH6CJJ was heard on his
2nd attempt calling from HI. The QSO's just didn't stop coming. But, after a
brief few minutes to carry in groceries, Windows update put me on the sidelines.
>From about 20Z until 24Z, the sporadic E was truly outstanding. Stations as
close as KY, NC, and SC called in on 10. Many OH and call areas 4,5,8,9, and 0
were logged on 15. I even worked the other far western edge of WV on 20 along
with many from New England and NY. Even the eastern portions of OH, KY, and TN
were also very loud along with many 5/9/0's and the west coast was excellent on
20 as well in the 23Z hour well into the dark. When I went to 40, at 0028Z, the
flood gates opened yielding a max rate of 222 Q's/hr. My biggest mistake was
going to 75M around 0145Z for the first time; activity had still not really
moved down from 40. Range was more limited than usual on both
160 and 75 M despite very low noise on 75 and lower than normal on 160. Even 20
was full of storm QRN several days the week prior to NAQP.

I debated whether to keep going around midnight local time and guessed with my
non-serious attitude there would be many bigger scores, a big boo-boo! Oh well,
give us 10 years and huge Es might happen again. This was the best I have ever
heard Es short skip in the NAQP either mode. My overall rate was 142/hr; I may
never equal that again. It helps being in WV; many stations followed me around
the bands working me on 3-5 bands. This effort was over 95% run Q's; many thanks
to all who called. It was a real boost to somewhat sagging morale.

73, Jeff